35 Warren Street
Can you manage a complex project, interview experts about topics that are new to you, and juggle a steady stream of deadlines? Is your writing almost as stellar as your project management skills? Do you have at least 3 years of experience?
UTEC seeks an experienced Grant Writer to manage an aggressive schedule for institutional fundraising. The Grants team completes submissions on a weekly basis, including letters of inquiry, full proposals, and contract applications. The Grant Writer manages administration of the full grant cycle, from prospecting and proposals through budget amendments, contract management, and internal reporting as well as funder reports. Reports to the Director of Grants & Communications; works closely with senior staff agency-wide.
Writer and Editor (50%)
· Draft high-quality, compelling, and detailed documents such as proposals, LOIs and progress reports to institutional funders.
· Draft correspondence to institutional funders and prospective funders on behalf of the director of development and executive director.
· Draft thank you letters and stewardship communications to funders and prospective funders.
· Draft backgrounders and talking points for senior staff in advance of funder meetings and events.
Systems Management (20%)
· Acknowledge, and internally communicate application status updates, in addition to working with Development Associate on award documentation and grant processing.
· Manage the Salesforce database for all grant opportunities, institutional funding entities, and related contacts, including maintaining funder records and running grant-related reports.
· Coordinate with the Evaluation and Program teams to ensure data collection and program updates for timely and accurate submission of reporting to funders.
· Assist in developing and maintaining efficient systems, policies and procedures to manage information and the workflow of the Grants team.
Relationship Management and Stewardship (15%)
· Manage a small portfolio of (5-10) current and prospective funders, including revising and updating donor profiles and tracking their funding requirements and interests.
· Directly support relationship management for >30 additional prospects/funders on the portfolios of Executive Director, Director of Grants, and other senior staff
· Participate in outreach to, calls with and site visits from institutional funders.
Researcher and Strategist (10%)
· Take the lead on researching and vetting potential funding sources, utilizing resources such as Guide Star, LinkedIn, AGM, etc.
· Prepare prospect profiles and briefs to share with members of the institutional development and leadership team to develop approach strategies.
· Research issues relevant to corporate engagement, philanthropy, and other nonprofit financing trends.
· Participate in the development of strategies to approach and attract new institutional funders.
· Collaborate with program and evaluation staff on internal project teams as needed.
· Develop expertise in one or more of UTEC’s program areas to strengthen proposal content and rationale.
The successful candidate must demonstrate a commitment to UTEC’s principles of social change, diversity, and community building. An ability to think critically and creatively, participate in strategic discussions, and develop new systems as UTEC’s size and structure grows and shifts is essential.
At least 3-5 years of grant writing and project management experience strongly preferred. Attention to administrative and process detail while working to deadline in a fast-paced environment. Capacity to work with staff and partners at all levels, with comfort “managing up.” Ability to identify and manage workplans, multi-task and adapt to a changing environment. Strong computer and online literacy skills. Passion to own one’s work and ability to laugh at oneself required.
ABOUT UTEC: UTEC’s promise is to ignite and nurture the ambition of our most disengaged young adults to trade violence and poverty for social and economic success. UTEC’s outcomes-focused model begins with intensive street outreach and correctional facility in-reach to meet proven-risk young people “where they are.” UTEC engages young adults in workforce development programs through our social enterprises and onsite alternative education, with long-term coaching and support services. Social justice and civic engagement are embedded in all programming. For more info, please visit www.utec-lowell.org
COMPENSATION: Based on experience. Full benefits package including 3 weeks of vacation, paid holidays and sick/personal time, and partly-subsidized health and dental insurance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY: Apply via email only. Please submit thoughtful cover letter, resume, and one writing sample (Word or PDF files) to email@example.com with “Grant Writer application” in the subject line. No calls, please. Not all inquiries will receive a response.