Family Services Coordinator - Lenniger and Sydelle
- Job posted by Center for Urban Community Services
The Center for Urban Community Services, a national leader in the development of effective housing and service initiatives for homeless people, invites applications for a Family Services Coordinator position for the Lenniger and Sydelle Residences. These are multi-unit supportive housing residences for low income individuals and families, many of whom have a history of mental illness, homelessness, and/or substance abuse. The Lenniger and Sydelle Residences are located in the East Tremont section of the Bronx. Responsibilities:
Help parents and children to take full advantage of the resources in the community. Be knowledgeable and stay up to date about local and city resources available to families. Proactively engage families in accessing and navigating services that may benefit them. Help families obtain the best outcomes and work optimally with outside agencies (for example, ACS, Department of Education, etc).
- Help parents support their children’s success in education by assisting in engaging the education system, including assistance with enrollment, communicating with school administration and counselors, assistance in navigating special education protocol. Conduct outreach and liaison with local schools, community-based organizations, and government systems.
- Provide parenting education, support groups, and events/activities for children and families in collaboration with Activity Specialist.
- Work on an interdisciplinary team serving families residing in supportive housing. Work collaboratively with direct care staff to assess family needs and link them to appropriate resources in the community. Regularly assess the needs of families to determine service gaps. Provide support and feedback around family needs/services.
- Manage special projects related to services to families, such as scholarship programs, volunteer programs, professional development to staff, etc. This position may involve the supervision of staff.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- The Family Services Coordinator must have experience navigating child-serving and family-serving systems.
- Demonstrated ability to serve a special needs population such as the homeless and/or mentally ill.
- Demonstrated ability to work with school aged children.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
- Bachelors Degree or a minimum of 6 years of experience in a K-12 educational setting required.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
Minimum Education Required