Details: Based on experience and qualifications
The mission of the Petey Greene Program is to supplement education in correctional institutions by preparing volunteers, primarily college students, to provide free, quality tutoring and related programming to support the academic achievement of incarcerated people. We are ten years old and are a small, growing national organization with over twenty employees in eight states. We envision a world in which all incarcerated people have access to high quality academic programs.
To accomplish these goals, the Petey Greene Program builds partnerships with universities and correctional institutions. The program collaborates with universities and student groups to recruit, train, and coordinate volunteers, typically undergraduate and graduate students. We then work with correctional facilities to enable these volunteers to work as tutors and teaching assistants in adult basic education, high school, high school equivalency, and college classes. This supplemental educational service is provided at no charge to the students or to the correctional facilities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Hiring, recruiting, and managing the field organization in cooperation with the Program Manager
- Work with Board of Trustees and ED to develop a multiyear strategic plan and an annual operating plan.
- Support the field staff in executing strategy and navigating challenges with facilities, universities and individual volunteers.
- Support the Program Manager to ensure effective management of all field staff members.
- Attempt to obtain incarcerated student academic information from all facility partners.
- Execute a research study, with the support of outside consultants, to determine the effectiveness of the Petey Greene Program model.
- Develop training for all staff to use Salesforce to collect and manage data concerning our tutors and students.
Expansion Strategy and Execution:
- Work with the ED to develop an expansion strategy and plan.
- Meet with potential facility, university and financial partners to explore expansion opportunities in both current and new locations.
- Meet with potential funders at the request of the Executive Director and Development Director.
- Work with the regional teams to identify Advisory Board members and utilize and grow each region’s Advisory Board.
- Organize, coordinate, plan and facilitate national staff meetings with the ED and Program Manager.
- Support the Petey Greene outreach program via the website, social media and our newsletter.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Potential to become Executive Director when our founding ED retires
- Successful experience as a leader/manager
- Excellent communications skills
- Demonstrated perseverance and problem solving;
- Strong organizational skills; experience working with nonprofit idealists
- Remote management experience with teams, staff, and volunteers all in different locations
- Passion for improving the US criminal justice system and commitment to the role of education in reducing recidivism
Ideal candidates will have proficiency in:
- Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs and Sheets, and Google Calendar;
- Group facilitation and team-building skills;
- Creative problem-solving and persuasive and thoughtful communications.
Ideal candidates will be willing to:
- Travel frequently within and outside our current 8 states on the East Coast
- Commit to Petey Greene for at least the next 3 years;
- Potentially become Executive Director and make a long-term commitment to the Program
health insurance, paid vacation, paid sick days, paid holidays, 401k, flexible hours, working remotely at times, travel reimbursement
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit resume AND cover letter (required) to: JFarrin@peteygreene.org
We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBT, formerly incarcerated and differently-abled people to apply. Petey Greene does not discriminate in its personnel decisions based on race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or national origin.