Details: Job Type: This is a part-time position. Navigator will work no more than 30 hours per week. Compensation: $15.00/hour
7111 5th Avenue
The Arab American Association of New York seeks a temporary part-time Immigration Navigator to join its staff to provide free immigration legal consultations, document preparation, and application assistance.
- Under the supervision of an accredited legal representative, pre-screen for eligibility for immigration benefits;
- Under the supervision of an accredited legal representative, provide application assistance to immigrants eligible for immigration benefits such as Temporary Protected Status (TPS), naturalization, green card renewals, family petitions, adjustment of status applications and others;
- Assist clients to obtain the documents necessary to apply for relief, fill out appropriate forms, and follow up with clients via phone, mail and email;
- Provide referrals for wraparound services;
- Create and maintain physical and electronic files, including managing correspondence with clients and documenting correspondence with immigration and other agencies; and
- Manage data entry in internal and external data management systems and assist with generating reports.
- A bachelor’s degree or professional and/community experience that may be the equivalent of or a substitute for a formal bachelor’s degree;
- Excellent and careful attention to detail;
- Effective communications skills, including written and verbal;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability and experience working with diverse individuals and communities;
- Ability to work in a fast‐paced, high intensity environment;
- Flexible schedule and availability for occasional weekend work;
- Strong understanding of Arab community and other communities of color preferred;
- Initiative and drive to learn and excel at the responsibilities described above;
- Preferred but not required:
- Experience working as an immigration paralegal or advocate; and
- Demonstrated a commitment to social justice issues and experience working in a non-profit or community setting.
Length: Now through June 2018; continuation of position following June will be dependent on funding.
The Arab American Association of New York is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Arabic is required, multiple dialects a plus.
Minimum Education Required