350.org is looking for an experienced and creative campaigner to join our Fossil Free USA campaign with a focus on climate organizing in New York State. This is a six-month position with the possibility of extension.
This campaigner will run an innovative and strategic campaign, working closely with climate partners, to make New York a leader on fighting climate change. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker, an experienced and successful campaigner, a solid project manager, skilled with digital platforms, and a talented writer.
- Campaign planning and implementation
- Developing relationships with current and prospective partner organizations across NY state, securing their engagement in Fossil Free New York plans
- Building and strengthening a Fossil Free New York coalition
- Initiating and organizing events and pickets and supporting and recruiting to partner-led events
- Recruiting and maintaining a core group of diverse volunteers for online and offline activities, including phone and text banking
- Writing and contributing to blogs, email blasts, letters to the editor, and media releases. Writing and project managing the production of event specific materials
- Developing relationships with key elected officials and staff
- Acting as a campaign spokesperson, developing relationships with key media
- Travel around New York State
- 3+ years campaign experience.
- Experience working closely with partners including building out effective and nimble coalitions.
- Experience recruiting, coordinating and energizing diverse teams of offline and online volunteers.
- Creativity and comfort with experimenting with new tools and tactics, and a sharp instinct for finding creative opportunities to build campaign momentum or get a message across.
- Access to reliable transportation to travel around the state.
- Excitement to engage in and support the organization's commitment to advancing and creating an equitable and inclusive work culture.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment with team members who are often remote.
- Excellent time management skills and commitment to healthy work-life balance.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Knowledge of political context in New York State, with existing relationships to progressive and climate organizations in New York.
- Spanish proficiency
- Experience recruiting for mass mobilizations, days of action or town halls.
- Experience with using and engaging in peaceful civil disobedience
- Experience using social media (e.g. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) for an organization or campaign.
- Experience at the intersection of online and offline organizing, mobilization, and direct action.
- Experience working in communities of color and frontline communities
We are looking for someone who is comfortable working both independently and in teams, highly responsive, and able to lead initiatives as well as take direction from others. You will be joining a global organization with great, future opportunities to work nationally and internationally.
Full health, dental, sick leave and vacation benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in English is a requirement
Proficiency in Spanish is an asset
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online via the 350.org website.