About Root & Rebound:
Root & Rebound is a nonprofit reentry advocacy and legal resource center whose mission is to increase access to justice and opportunity for people in reentry from prison and jail, and to educate and empower those who support them, fundamentally advancing and strengthening the reentry infrastructure across the state of California. We work to build innovative, holistic, and creative solutions to solve the reentry crisis in California and the United States.
Root & Rebound seeks a candidate who is excited about working as a leader of legal programs within our innovative and quickly growing organization. The ideal candidate will be excited about using public education and high-touch legal services (clinics and hotline) as the central strategy to reach the millions of Californians with a criminal record. The ideal candidate is warm, personable, and excited about expanding R&R’s partnerships, work, and impact across the state.
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director and Deputy Director of Programs, the Staff Attorney will play an integral role in R&R programs, including creating new toolkits and updating resources, traveling to and running rural legal clinics, staffing the weekly reentry legal hotline, and supporting ongoing policy advocacy work.
Responsibilities & Duties:
Under the supervision of the Executive and Deputy Directors, the Staff Attorney’s responsibilities & duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
REENTRY TRAININGS & CLINICS IN RURAL & UNDER-RESOURCED COMMUNITIES:
- Traveling to rural communities of the state with frequency, support R&R’s statewide public education & trainings. Help to carry out trainings in communities and in prisons.
- Traveling to rural communities of the state with frequency, support R&R’s statewide reentry legal clinics, helping clients in a limited scope with family law issues, expungement, driver’s license reinstatements, fines/fees issues, employment, housing, and more.
CREATING & UPDATING EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS:
- Assist with research, editing, and writing content to update the Roadmap to Reentry guide so it remains current, relevant, and useful for the broad audience served by Root & Rebound.
- Assist in the creation of new resources, like legal “know-your-rights” toolkits, community-facing fact sheets, training slides and videos, etc.
- Supervise law student and pro bono volunteers who provide legal research and writing support to Root & Rebound’s legal programs team.
REENTRY HOTLINE & PRISON MAIL & DIRECT SERVICE WORK:
- Serve as a frontline support on R&R’s weekly Reentry Hotline; conduct legal intakes with incarcerated and reentering callers; help Hotline Callers identify and navigate solutions; advocate for clients; and help maintain a strong referral and resource database for the Hotline.
- Conduct research on discrete legal questions and resource requests for incarcerated people who write to Root & Rebound looking for reentry information and support.
GENERAL PROGRAMMATIC & ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT:
- Assist with proactively recruiting and managing a diverse, robust group of Root & Rebound volunteers, including pro bono attorneys, law students, undergraduate, and non-legal volunteers, in support of all of Root & Rebound’s legal programs.
- Track data and program outcomes.
- Maintain organized files, systems, and databases for all of Root & Rebound’s legal programs.
- Assist with Root & Rebound’s development activities, as needed.
- Attend local, state, and national conferences related to Root & Rebound’s work, as needed.
- Respond professionally and promptly to dynamic and ever-shifting programmatic demands in a startup environment, working collaboratively with our small but mighty team of reentry attorneys.
- 0-4 years out of law school.
- Licensed attorney, and in good standing, in California.
- Ability to and excitement about travel regularly to rural and under-resourced parts of the state for community-based work is a must.
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and criminal justice.
- Positive, professional, and humble attitude.
- Strong work ethic, resilience, and determination.
- Proactive communicator and team builder.
- Flexible and able to prioritize work effectively. Excellent time-management.
- Ability to communicate clearly to a broad range of audiences, verbally and in writing.
- Creative, enthusiastic, and willing to learn and try new things.
- Willingness to travel regularly.
- Driver’s license required.
This position will begin as a full-time position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Employment benefits that include medical, vision, and dental care.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, two short writing samples (one legal, and one nonlegal), and at least three references with contact information in an email to Katherine Katcher (Executive Director) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without a cover letter, writing samples, and references will not be reviewed. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please. Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals, people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals.