247 East 20th Street
LearningSpring School is a dynamic, progressive, child-centered, collaborative non-public school located in New York City, dedicated to educating students in grades K-8 on the autism spectrum. To learn more about our school visit our website at learningspring.org.
General Description: The Assistant Teacher’s primary responsibility is to provide opportunities for social, emotional, physical and cognitive growth through a balance of activities and experiences which are developmentally appropriate and foster independence.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of a supportive and challenging developmentally appropriate program.
- Visually scan each student in the morning for signs of illness, physical impairment, or unusual marks.
- Demonstrate warmth towards students and set positive example through your actions in the classroom.
- Evaluate and attend to student’s needs.
- Contribute to and participate in parent conferences.
- Attend on site staff development in services to promote professional growth and maintain an ongoing level of competency in the field of special education.
- Be responsible for reading, understanding and following the procedures and guidelines set forth in the LSS staff manual.
- Be familiar with the LSS parent handbook.
- Assist in setting up, cleaning and maintaining classroom equipment and supplies.
- Conduct self with professional integrity, respect and maintain confidentiality for families served and staff.
- Be an appropriate role model for students and parents at all times.
- Maintain loyalty to the school, conduct self with professional integrity and respect.
- Any other school related jobs deemed necessary by supervisor.
- High School Diploma
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or Related Field (Preferred)
- Associates Degree in Education or Related Field
- Certified as a Teaching Assistant by the New York State Education Department or able to become certified within 3 months of employ.
- Two years of experience in an educational setting
- Must be fingerprinted and cleared by the NYC Department of Education to work in a school.
Physical Requirements and Essential Functions:
- Must be able to control and restrain students under your supervision. Must be able to lift, carry and hold students and classroom equipment.
- Must be able to maintain visual and auditory supervision of students.
- Must be able to accompany students to various parts of the building and outdoor space for meals, activities, fire drills.
- Must have physical stamina and flexibility (walking, bending, stooping, crawling, kneeling, running, stretching, reaching, standing, sitting on the floor) for participating in students' activities and speaking with them at their eye level, playing with them and to clean up toys and equipment from the floor.
- Must be able to maneuver and/or set up students' furniture, i.e., tables and chairs.
- Must have basic knowledge of First Aid/CPR.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English to write parent notes, evaluation forms, lesson plans and other correspondence concerning students.
- Must be able to communicate with students, parents and staff using clear, understandable speech.
- Must be able to read aloud books, signs, posters, etc. to students and to silently read memos, lesson plans, school policies, emergency procedures and other related correspondence.
- Medical (No cost to employee for in-network only coverage. Employee can cover family member or upgrade to optional out of network at an additional expense to the employee.)
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Plan
- Retirement Savings - 403b, matching and "profit" sharing.
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Development
- Beautiful building
- Awesome co-workers
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position please submit your resume with a cover letter, to email@example.com. The subject line of the email should indicate that you are applying for the Assistant Teacher position. All applications must be submitted electronically, please do not call.