Bronxworks helps individuals and families improve their economic and social well-being. From toddlers to seniors, we feed, shelter, teach, and support our neighbors to build a stronger community. In all aspects of our work, we strive for the highest ethical and performance standards and is guided by the belief that people are to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their present situation or past experiences. We have 37 locations throughout the borough providing a variety of programs that offer assistance in the areas of family, children and youth support, educational services, elder care, homelessness, mental health and workforce development. We are an employer of choice for anyone interested in a meaningful career in the social services field.
BronxWorks’ Jerome Avenue Shelter has openings for full-time housing specialists. The positions entail securing permanent housing for homeless clients of BronxWorks’ Jerome Avenue Shelter. Two years of experience in a social service setting is required. One year of experience providing housing related services is preferred. Knowledge of housing resources for the homeless population and rental subsidies are strongly preferred. Bi-lingual (Spanish) and a valid driver’s license from the state of residence with less than three (3) violation points in the last three (3) years is also preferred.
- Secure permanent housing for street homeless clients of BronxWorks’ drop-in center, safe havens, and homeless outreach programs.
- Conduct outreach and or establish relationships with Brokers and landlords by visiting their management offices.
- Search/secure safe, livable and affordable apartments and or rooms within the five boroughs of New York City.
- Operate BronxWorks’ vehicle, transport agency clients and conduct travel for long distances within New York City.
- Accompany clients to view apartments as needed.
- Inspect unoccupied apartments.
- Prescreen clients for supplements.
- Visit shelters and or complete field work as required.
- Refer clients to brokers and or landlords for apartments.
- Maintain clean driver’s license so that you may escort clients in company car.
- Assist clients with navigation of various housing subsidy programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
- One year of experience providing services around housing is preferred.
- Two years of experience in a social service setting is required.
- Knowledge of housing resources for the homeless population and rental subsidies are strongly preferred.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) and a valid driver’s license from the state of residence with less than three (3) violation points in the last three (3) years is also preferred.
- Engaging personality and detailed orientated skills are essential.
- Strong oral and written communication, time management and organizational skills are necessary.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and other standard business technology is required.
BronxWorks offers a variety of benefits to full-time salaried employees as well as part-time salaried employees who work at least 20 hours per week year-round.
- Generous paid time off for personal, vacation, parental, and medical leave
- 12 paid holidays.
- Comprehensive medical, and life insurance coverage care for employees and their families, at little or no cost to employees.
- A pension plan that is 100% employer paid
- Two tax deferred annuity plans and employee assistance in maximizing the pension plan and tax deferred annuity plans to prepare for retirement.
- TransitChek – Employees may use TransitChek to have money taken out of their pretax salaries to pay for their public transportation commute.
- Free and confidential assessment, counseling, and referral service, to assist employees and their families with a wide range of personal problems
Additionally, BronxWorks Offers
- A comprehensive monthly training calendarAccess to some scholarship opportunities
- Non-financial support and internship opportunities for employees who return to school, particularly for their Master of Social Work degrees
Level of Language Proficiency
Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language is required. Authorization to work in the United States for any employer is mandatory.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply for HOUSING SPECIALIST using the link below: