Details: This is an internship position with a living stipend.
The Product Development and Sales Manager is an essential position within Maya Traditions Foundation’s Fair Trade social enterprise. We are looking for a dynamic, forward thinking, and organized person. This role requires having a open communication with clients, collaborating with designers, and ensuring high quality product and service is provided.
Must be comfortable interacting with clients in a professional and friendly demeanour, ensuring current relationships are maintained while fostering new business opportunities. Leadership skills to direct and manage the Fair Trade Marketing Strategy are essential in this role. A background in design and a natural eye for detail is desired. This role supports the the Production Coordinator and reports directly to the Executive Director.
Customer Relations/ Sales
- Manage all client orders and provide quality and timely customer service while maintaining open communications with customers throughout the financial process- collecting deposits, charging shipping and requesting final payment.
- Working in collaboration with Finance and the Administration Manager, the manager must ensure new items, invoices, sales receipts and taxes are entered into Quickbooks correctly.
- Actively participate in the planning and execution of trade shows in Guatemala and abroad with the Production Coordinator and/or other MTF members.
- Maintain and update General Wholesale Terms and Conditions and other internal documents annually.
- Manage, merchandise and maintain inventory of the MTF showroom and storage rooms.
- Host current and potential clients when they come to visit Guatemala.
- Support designers in the development of private label products produced by Maya Traditions. This includes guiding partners through the production process, reviewing initial designs, providing feedback while maintaining a smooth process.
- Create product descriptions for Production Coordinator, tailors, and artisans.
- Review completed samples with designers and identify any changes that need to be made.
- Facilitate creative meetings with design partners when they visit Guatemala.
- Update and maintain the Sample Making Policies annually.
Product Development and Design
- Design a new line of products annually to highlight the skills of our artisan partners and the techniques they use.
- Oversee the development, tracking, production timeline and budget for new product designs.
- Identify which weaving groups require more work and create new product to highlight their techniques to generate more income.
- Review and update current textile options to guarantee they are in line with current global fashion trends and in demand for the current global marketplace.
- Set prices for new products based on cost of goods and market competition.
- Update MT wholesale catalogue to reflect new designs.
- Attend weekly meetings with Maya Traditions Foundation team.
- Attend weekly Production meetings with the Production Coordinator and Development Associate.
- Represent the Foundation when necessary (tours, visits, fairs, workshops, etc.).
- Actively take part in community tours and backstrap weaving demonstrations to promote Fair Trade to visitors.
- Identify tasks to delegate to volunteers or interns
- Support MTF external communications strategy through the collection of pictures, blogs and stories from artisans, customers and social programs.
- Supervise and support external communications before they are published to help to tell our story through Facebook, Instagram and other medium.
- Ensure the Fair Trade Products section of the website is up to date and keeps users engaged.
- Update and share the digital Marketing Package with new clients.
Requirements and Skills
- At least 5 years of retail or wholesale sale experience and customer service management.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A proven self-starter with strong administrative experience and effective follow up skills.
- Background in accessory, home furnishing, textile or product design.
- Enjoys working with customers and designers to help grow Maya Traditions and to share our textiles and products with international markets.
- Experience in QuickBooks, Excel, Photoshop, Social Media management.
- Bilingual (written and spoken) in English and Spanish.
- Ability and flexibility to work as a part of bilingual, multicultural team.
- Committed to living in Panajachel, Guatemala and working with Maya Traditions Foundation for at least 2 years.
Compensation: Q5500 monthly
The Intern is required to provide Guatemalan invoices for services rendered at time of payment every two weeks or month depending on the preference of the intern. The Intern is responsible for paying the local tax deducted from the monthly living stipend.
When required, employee will attend events or activities on the weekend to represent MTF with consent from the Director, day(s) during the normal work week will be given as compensation days for the weekend days worked.
- Guatemala and US holidays off
- Vacation and sick/personal days
- Employee discount
- Time off for visa run (every 90 days)
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual (written and spoken) in English and Spanish.
Minimum Education Required