1757 Waller Street
Safe & Sound (formerly the San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center) is a children's advocacy organization working to prevent child abuse and reduce its devastating impact on the child, their family, and our entire community.
We have been a pioneer in the field of child abuse prevention, working within San Francisco for over 40 years. Recently the organization has begun to expand its impact working throughout the state of California.
Child Abuse is a complex problem, but a preventable one. Our data-informed approach leverages three primary strategies: we empower children with knowledge and confidence; we support families providing resources and skills; we activate the community and the change makers within it to create a thriving social safety net for children and their families.
The organization has an annual operating budget of approximately $8 million and is supported by approximately 60 staff, interns, and more than 80 volunteers. Safe & Sound's headquarters is located in a historic firehouse in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco, with a second office in the Bayview neighborhood.
More information is available at: www.safeandsound.org.
This position is responsible for providing supervision to volunteers on the TALK Line (Telephone Aid in Living with Kids). This position requires a flexible work schedule, due to the need to ensure coverage of the 24-hour parental stress line and to provide uninterrupted supervision of the volunteer counselors.
- Provide clinical supervision to approximately 8-10 TALK Line volunteer counselors on a weekly basis, in person 1:1, for up to 1 hour each. Provide support and guidance to TALK Line volunteers during shifts as well as after hours.
- Manage escalated client calls, intervening directly when clinically indicated.
- Provide periodic support for other Weekend Supervisors as needed (includes supervising a 24-hour weekday shift 2x/month)
- Attend weekly team meetings, All Center Staff meetings, and Department meetings all on Fridays.
- Evaluate volunteers on an ongoing basis
- Co-facilitate a 27-hour training for new volunteers in collaboration with Sr. Program Manager and other Supervisors 3x per year.
- Work with TALK Line clients to connect them with community services as needed, providing internal and external referrals.
- Actively participate on a Service Delivery Team to ensure coordination and alignment of services across program areas.
- Contribute to ongoing research and practices in the delivery of supportive services to families.
- Responsible for covering open TALK Line shifts (shifts may include occasional overnight and weekend shifts split between 5 team members) on an as needed basis.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- MSW, MFT, psychology or vocational counseling degree or background in counseling.
- 3 years providing crisis intervention and counseling services.
- Demonstrate experience in volunteer training &/or supervision.
- Knowledge of child development, family dynamics, and the impact of child abuse & neglect.
- Experience working with culturally diverse clients & families.
- Requires familiarity with services available in the community.
- Ability to make a meaningful connection with clients via telephone.
- Ability to balance competing priorities and triage effectively.
- Ability to work flexibly to provide appropriate and effective supervision and coaching to meet the diverse needs of volunteer counselors.
- Basic computer skills required: word processing and internet search capabilities, including use of our internal data system: Efforts to Outcomes (ETO).
- Fluent in Spanish &/or Cantonese
- Part-time (20 hours per week)
- Exempt position
- Occasional on-call hours, may include weekend & holiday hours.
- Position will be fingerprinted and reference-checked.
- Typical Working Conditions: Standard office conditions - ability to lift light boxes & supplies [up to 25 lbs]
- Equipment Used: Phone, computer, copier, fax.
- Essential Physical Tasks: Minimal travel requirements and periodic light lifting
Safe & Sound is committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive full consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Minimum Education Required