Main Street Skowhegan is seeking an enthusiastic, people-person to join our team as a Business Relations Manager, who will build and maintain relationships with business owners, new and aspiring entrepreneurs, property owners, community leaders, and other economic development partners and stakeholders. The Business Relations Manager (BRM) will build on Main Street Skowhegan’s entrepreneurial ecosystems work, following up on the Spring 2021 business needs assessment and supporting business growth and resilience. The BRM will work with developers and property owners to encourage and facilitate real estate investment and redevelopment, utilizing a real estate report (in progress) and helping to develop a case study as a guide for future development. In coordination with the Executive Director and MSS Board of Directors, the BRM will launch and manage an entrepreneurial facility. The BRM will also coordinate with regional partners to support the development and implementation of the Skowhegan spoke of the regional Dirigo Labs Business Accelerator Program.
This person will be responsible for the following, in addition to other duties as assigned:
- Develop and maintain working relationships with Skowhegan business owners; follow up on needs, provide support, and share resources.
- Launch and manage entrepreneurial facility; purchase equipment; design and promote space.
- Plan and execute business programming at the entrepreneurial facility, including trainings and networking events; solicit sponsors and coordinate all pre- and post-event logistics.
- Maintain database of businesses and entrepreneurs, including contact information, outreach notes, use of facility, and attendance at programs.
- Lead business trainings and/or recruit experts to lead trainings/workshops on business planning, marketing, e-commerce, and other topics pertinent to local entrepreneurs.
- Coordinate with Dirigo Labs partner organization, Central Maine Growth Council, to execute regional business accelerator; recruit local cohorts, support curriculum and program design, and provide technical assistance to participants.
- Work with property owners and developers to increase real estate investment; share creative financing resources, assist with project cost calculations and pro forma development.
- Represent Main Street Skowhegan at local, regional, state, and national programs, events, and conferences pertinent to this work.
- Draft grant applications and reports; seek funding to enhance and bolster projects.
- Work with Business Enhancement Committee Chair to develop monthly meeting agendas; attend meetings; follow up on assigned tasks, including TA Grant Program coordination.
- Convene monthly Community Economic Resource Council Meetings; ensure meetings are valuable for all involved parties.
- Maintain SomersetBusinessResources.org as the regional resource for starting and growing a business in southern Somerset County.
- Facilitate #ShopSkowhegan, our year-long shop local program and plan and execute Small Business Saturday, our annual #shopsmall event in November.
- Engage with the business community during other Main Street Skowhegan events and programs.
Required characteristics, knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Passion for rural economic and community development
- Enthusiastic and outgoing; excited to build productive and meaningful relationships with business owners and other stakeholders
- Experience in business management, business development and/or ownership, entrepreneurship, or similar
- Interest in real estate development, including historic property redevelopment
- Hard working and willing to put in the time and effort to get the job done.
- Excellent public speaking, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Detail-oriented with excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently and concurrently
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications (e.g., Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Google Docs, and social media
- Must be physically capable of performing essential functions, including carrying heavy equipment, moving furniture, and standing on your feet for long hours.
- Four-year college degree.
Preferred characteristics, knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Love for rural Maine
- Experience in real estate development
- Familiarity and/or proficiency with email management software
- Familiarity and/or proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity and/or proficiency with WordPress
Work hours, reporting, salary, benefits:
- This is a full-time, salaried position. Some weekend and evening work required.
- Position will report to the executive director.
- Benefits include 10 paid holidays, 2 weeks vacation, health insurance stipend.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Main Street Skowhegan:
Main Street Skowhegan is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit focused on the ongoing revitalization of Skowhegan, Maine. Founded in 2005 by a group of citizens with the goal of reinvigorating downtown Skowhegan, MSS is still driven by volunteers working to make their town a better place.
In 2015 we expanded our purview to include the entire town—not just the downtown—enabling us to serve all Skowhegan businesses and implement town-wide projects. Our mission is to celebrate Skowhegan’s rich heritage while achieving our brightest future as a thriving economic, cultural, and recreational community where residents enjoy a high quality of life.
Main Street Skowhegan does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, gender, gender expression, age, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.