Details: Competitive Salary Commensurate With Experience
60 Masonic Street
The Media Education Foundation (MEF), a nonprofit organization that produces and distributes documentary films about the social, political, and cultural impact of American mass media, is seeking a talented, full-time Financial Administrator. We are looking for an organized, detail-oriented, computer-savvy finance whiz, who works well independently as well as with a team. If finance is your thing and you would like to work for a progressive nonprofit organization, check out the job responsibilities and desired skills for our Financial Administrator position.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Full responsibility for all accounting functions including A/P, A/R, budgeting, monthly bank reconciliations, quarterly financial statements and financial reporting. The financial administrator:
- Keeps records of invoices and tax payments.
- Identifies and addresses account discrepancies.
- Monitors overdue payments and sends account statements.
- Reconciles bank, credit card, and investment accounts on a monthly basis.
- Maintains financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash.
- Develops new systems and practices when needed.
- Is responsible for all bookkeeping functions.
- Oversees all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
- Administers insurance, disability, wellness, and other benefits.
- Develops and maintains timely and accurate financial statements and reports for executive staff and outside audit agencies in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Ensures that bills are entered and paid on a timely basis.
- Calculates and processes royalty payments on a quarterly basis.
- Enters sales invoices as needed.
- Performs all other accounting functions as needed.
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Develop and implement month-end close process with monthly variance reporting.
- Manage cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts.
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including: charitable status; withholding payments; income tax; and local/state taxes.
- Lead the annual audit process and coordinate with external auditors to prepare annual 990 charitable tax return in a timely manner.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure that personnel and financial information is stored securely and according to best practices.
- Ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of appropriately.
- Maintain professional relationships with vendors, and financial service providers, auditor, and bankers.
- Maintain vendor records and assist with maintaining customer/client/donor records.
- Produce and distribute 1099s and ensure compliance with tax requirements.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting.
- Strategic planning experience with the ability to define, set, and execute short-term and long-term objectives.
- Experience with audit, legal compliance, and budget development.
- Success seeing beyond the numbers, analyzing trends, and identifying new possibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree (MA/MBA preferred) in Business, Management, or Finance, or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with accounting for small businesses.
- Mastery of Quickbooks and Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent computer skills and confidence in learning new applications.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills. Positive attitude and enthusiasm for working within a small team.
- Open to new ideas and influences and quick to react to changing requirements.
- Ability to translate financial concepts and effectively collaborate with colleagues who do not have finance backgrounds.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and organize, prioritize, manage, and implement assignments.
- Familiarity with and support of MEF’s general mission is essential.
The Media Education Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome candidates whose background may contribute to the further diversification of our organization.
MEF provides a competitive benefits package that includes paid vacation, medical, dental, wellness, and professional development benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please e-mail a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com by March 23, 2018.