Become a Physical Education Teacher in NYC!
The NYC Department of Education (DOE) is excited to announce a new alternative certification teacher preparation program, Pathways to PE. This program is designed to recruit and train committed individuals with a demonstrated interest in fitness and education to become fully certified Physical Education teachers in DOE schools by September 2019. NYCDOE hopes to continue leading the nation in quality PE instruction by attracting aspiring PE teachers to lead health and wellness efforts at the elementary level.
Benefits available to Pathways to PE participants include:
● Make a lasting impact on New York City students
● Train with experienced PE teachers
● Receive a subsidized master’s degree
● Join a network of dedicated professionals
Timeline of program:
● August 2018: Application and admission stage
● January 2019: Start training and master’s coursework
● Fall 2019 and beyond: Begin teaching in NYCDOE elementary schools; continue coursework
● A bachelor’s degree, conferred by December 2018
● An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0
● U.S. citizenship, or permanent residency status with a valid green card
● Fluency in both written and spoken English
● No prior teaching certification from any state or US territory
To learn more about and apply to the Pathways to PE program, visit our website. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through September 5, 2019. Interested individuals can email email@example.com with questions.
Minimum Education Required