WHO WE ARE
Since 1963, A Better Chance has been the only national organization of its kind, working to increase substantially the number of well-educated young people of color who are capable of assuming positions of responsibility and leadership in American society.
Through our signature College Preparatory Schools Program (CPSP), highly-motivated students of color are recruited for placement in over 200 outstanding independent and public schools across the country. Students who are accepted to and enroll in our Member Schools become A Better Chance Scholars.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
A Better Chance is in a transformational moment in its history when it is looking to take college and career programmatic offerings to the next level. The Associate Program Manager (APM), College and Career will be a key member of the Scholar and Alumni Success Team who ensures A Better Chance Scholars have access to opportunities that will help them be successful after they graduate from their member schools. The position reports to the Scholar and Alumni Success Manager and is a full-time position based in New York City. The start date for this position is Monday, January 4, 2021.
Job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
External Relationship Management:
- Manage and maintain relationships with A Better Chance college affiliates
- Manage and maintain relationships with A Better Chance summer opportunities partners
- Develop and maintain relationships with A Better Chance corporate career partners
- Develop a codified program of post-secondary workshops and events that begin when a student is a junior in high school and takes the student through their senior year and their ultimate acceptance to college.
- Leverage college affiliates to provide programming and opportunities for A Better Chance Scholars
- Provide a bi-weekly digest of post-secondary opportunities available to A Better Chance Scholars
- Advertise opportunities at A Better Chance college affiliates to Scholars and their families
- Advertise opportunities at our A Better Chance summer opportunities partners to A Better Chance Scholars and their families
- Create a survey schedule that allows A Better Chance to understand the evolving post-secondary and career needs of A Better Chance Scholars and their families
- Edit and disseminate an annual Senior Packet
Scholar Selection and Nomination:
- Select and nominate Scholars for national scholarships (Posse, Questbridge, etc.)
- Select and nominate Scholars for A Better Chance summer opportunity programs
- When available, administer funds earmarked for Scholar-selected summer opportunity programs
- Work with the Communications Team to highlight Scholars and their participation in summer opportunities programs
- Work with the Scholar & Alumni Success Manager to execute the Morgan Stanley Career and Workforce Skills Series in partnership with Morgan Stanley
- Manage and execute A Better Chance Career Day
- Work with the Scholar & Alumni Success Manager to place Scholars and Alumni into internships and jobs with A Better Chance corporate career partners
- Work with the Communications Team to highlight Scholars and alumni who intern or work for A Better Chance corporate career partners
- Advertise job and internship positions with A Better Chance corporate career partners to A Better Chance Scholars and alumni
- Work with the APM, Parents and Alumni to create a bi-weekly digest of career opportunities for alumni
General Organizational Support:
- Participate in reading A Better Chance applications
- Participate in Interview Day, Summer Leadership Academy, New Scholar Orientation, and Member School Fair days as needed.
- Coordinate with the Preparation and Success Team to ensure programmatic alignment
- Coordinate with the Development Team to communicate events relevant to their work
- Provide relevant data to teams and departments across the organization
- Attend and support key development events
YOU NEED TO LOVE
- Watching students succeed!
- Collaborating on iterative core programming development
- Creating programming that helps students prepare for and succeed in post-secondary environments
- Building and maintaining relationships with people
- Developing communication calendars and establishing processes that make communication easy and effective
- Experiences creating programming that addresses students’ post-secondary and/or career needs
- Experiences working on a team that MUST work closely together to get things done and ensure programmatic alignment.