The Horticultural Society of New York (The Hort) is seeking an experienced Gardener. The ideal candidate is passionate about furthering their career in horticulture. The Gardener will work directly with horticulturalists and employment specialists to plant and care for trees and shrubs, install urban farms and garden structures, and engage in green infrastructure work on roofs, gardens, and public plazas. The Gardener position provides practical work experience in preparation for furthering a career in the field, as well as teach leadership skills to individuals in our transitional workforce program.
The mission of the Horticultural Society of New York is to sustain the vital connection between people and plants. Our social service and public programs education and inspire, growing a broad community that values horticulture for the many benefits it brings to our environment, our neighborhoods, and our lives.
The Gardener reports directly to the Account Manager/Field Supervisor.
· Being a role model for participants by acting professionally at all times
· Interacting with community members in a professional and courteous manner
· Caring for newly planted trees, shrubs, perennials, and grasses
· Planting, pruning, and deadheading
· Maintaining tools and machinery
· Weeding and brush clearing
· Leaf, debris, and trash removal
· Irrigation repair and installation
· Composting and mulching
At The Hort, we would like our Gardeners to grow in their experiences of gardening techniques and other areas including:
· Garden maintenance strategies
· Plant identification
· Garden design and aesthetics
· Weed identification and management
· Mulch application methods
· Irrigation, fertilization, and other plant care techniques
· Understanding seasonal impacts on horticulture
· Career opportunities in horticulture and public gardens
· Ability to take direction from field supervisors and account
· Maintain a positive attitude during difficult work
· Experience teamwork and responsibility
· 1-2 years of hands-on experience designing, building, and maintaining urban green spaces, gardens, and urban farms
· Knowledge of plant care and motivation to learn
· Attendance and punctuality during the season
· Leadership ability
· Ability to follow direction and accept constructive criticism
· Ability to maintain stamina throughout workday
· Ability and willingness to work in all types of weather (heat, rain, snow)
· Ability to perform heavy, physical work (lift up to 40 lbs) on a daily basis
· Team-player attitude and strong interpersonal skills
This full-time, non-exempt position works Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm. Hours may vary depending on the job site.
The Horticultural Society of New York (The Hort) is seeking an experienced Gardener. The ideal candidate is passionate about furthering their career in horticulture. The Gardener will work directly with horticulturalists and employment…
The Hort offers full-time employees 15 days of paid vacation in their first year of employment, 6 sick days, and 3 personal days. Because of the unique nature of this role, Gardeners are asked to use the bulk of their vacation allotment during the off-season (January).
Full-time employees are offered the opportunity to enroll in our group medical plan (of which the Hort pays 80% of the basic plan) and our group dental plan (of which the employee pays the full premium).
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
The Hort offers full-time employees 15 days of paid vacation in their first year of employment, 6 sick days, and 3 personal days. Because of the unique nature of this role, Gardeners…