Details: Compensation Package that is competitive with other non-profits: The hiring range is $46,727 - $83,729 depending on experience.
3724 National Drive, Suite 100
Agency Description: Disability Rights North Carolina (DRNC), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is the only organization that provides free legal advocacy services to people with all types of disabilities, of all ages, throughout North Carolina. We are NC’s designated Protection and Advocacy agency and recognized leader in advancing disability rights, well established and positioned for growth. (www.DisabilityRightsNC.org)
Job Description: The Staff Attorney for the HOME Team provides individual and systemic representation to enforce the civil rights of people with disabilities. The HOME team engages in work related to the integration mandate of the American with Disabilities Act and Omstead v. L.C. We are seeking a licensed attorney with litigation experience and an interest in civil rights and health law.
Job Duties include:
· Ensures effective advocacy and high quality representation of people with disabilities
· Represents individual clients consistent with DRNC’s annual targets and selection criteria including the development and implementation of all phases of case strategies and activities including negotiation, mediation, representation in administrative proceedings, and systemic advocacy and litigation
· Provides advice and assistance to DRNC’s clients, including writing letters and memoranda and drafting pleadings on behalf of DRNC’s clients
· Analyzes fact patterns and issues raised by callers and presented by Intake staff and provides information/assistance/referral as appropriate
· Analyzes and interprets federal and state laws, rulings and regulations to stay abreast of legal developments in disability law, and other related law/ethical fields
· Analyzes statutes, regulations, and agency policies/procedures and drafts analysis and comment, as appropriate, in collaboration with DRNC policy staff
· Provides technical assistance to attorneys and advocates regarding the rights of individuals with disabilities, including but not limited to substantial assistance to pro bono attorneys
· Assists in the planning and development of DRNC’s program priorities and develops work plans, as assigned
· Prepares and reviews reports, amicus briefs, articles and special projects, drafts legislation and proposed regulations, as assigned
· Prepares written materials and conducts activities for the education and training of consumers, coalition partners, professionals, DRNC staff, members of the public, and others consistent with DRNC’s annual targets
· Cultivates, develops and maintains relationships with subject area professionals and advocates, including state officials and agency staff, providers, advocacy organizations, pro bono attorneys, and community advocates
· Represents DRNC at coalition meetings, public hearings, stakeholder groups, and/or task forces
· Mentors interns and paralegals
· Collaborates with and supports the work of other staff members, including sharing expertise in substantive areas
· Monitors institutions and other service providers, agencies, or settings, as required
· Compiles information and prepares program activity reports for funding sources, and assists in grant writing and administration when requested
· Collaborates with other staff in the development of systemic activities as appropriate
· Maintains complete and accurate records in DRNC’s case management system consistent with agency policies and procedures
· Other related job duties as assigned
· JD degree and admitted to practice law in North Carolina or eligible to sit for
the next Bar exam.
· Three years of legal experience required, with civil litigation experience strongly preferred
· Communicate effectively
- Life experience with disability
- Experience in a legal services, nonprofit or public interest environment
- Housing experience
- Ability to communicate in ASL, Spanish or another non-English language
Disability Rights NC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Individuals who increase the diversity of our team are encouraged to apply. We participate in E-verify.
Compensation Package that is competitive with other non-profits: The hiring range is $46,727 - $83,729 depending on experience. DRNC offers excellent benefits which include 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, life and disability as well as generous paid time off and retirement plan with an employer match.
DRNC offers excellent benefits which include 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, life and disability as well as generous paid time off and retirement plan with an employer match.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a detailed letter of interest explaining your qualifications and interest in the position and resume to email@example.com. Include Staff Attorney HOME Team in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
Closing Date: November 16, 2018. Position will remain open until filled.