<img src="https://yearup.csod.com/clientimg/yearup/logo/Logo1_b83bc4cb-f7dd-4271-be37-ac91ff1eb156.gif" alt=""/>
Title: Internship Services Specialist (Phoenix, AZ)
Office: PTC Phoenix
Location: PTC Phoenix
Career Stage: Specialist
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Reporting to the Associate Director of Programs the Internship Services Specialist (Phoenix, AZ) is a key member of the Program team, as well as a critical partner to Corporate Engagement teammates in ensuring a successful internship experience for interns and employers alike. Effective service delivery during the internship program contributes to Year Up's mission in several important ways, since intern performance and intern/supervisor satisfaction directly influence Year Up's graduation rate, conversion from internship-to-employment, and the renewal/growth of our employer relationships.
Achieving success before, during, and at the conclusion of the internship phase depends on maintaining strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including students, internship supervisors, and Year Up colleagues across a range of functions. You will support a portfolio of interns and supervisors throughout the internship phase, including monitoring intern performance via bi-weekly communication with interns and supervisors, coordinating service recovery across internal and external stakeholders, and facilitating cyclical programmatic processes. In many ways, you serve as the "in-house expert" on the ingredients required for a successful internship experience and the "command center" that ensures other functions are playing their roles accordingly.
To be successful in this role, you will be adept at communicating across a variety of audiences and will have experience working with internship programs that bridge educational and corporate environments. As an ideal candidate, you exude a spirit of customer service, demonstrate superb organizational skills, and take pride in your ability to bring clarity to ambiguous or complex situations. We are looking for a proactive self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and is energized by the opportunity to ensure our young adults exceed the expectations of the nation's top employers.
In keeping with Year Up's values, the Internship Services Specialist (Phoenix, AZ) will also have the opportunity to interact with students as a coach, group facilitator, and advocate, participating in building a positive educational environment.
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
- Support the planning of the bi-annual internship matching process and as necessary, support program and Corporate Engagement colleagues in gathering key information required for the process
- Conduct internship on-boarding activities including necessary background checks, drug screens, and applications as well as coordinating the collection of internship information and manager orientation
- Support planning, logistics, and facilitation of internship readiness workshops with the Corporate Engagement team, as well as other functional staff designed to build relationships with interns in your portfolio, including reviewing the internship contract and covering logistics with interns prior to internship start date
- In partnership with Corporate Engagement colleagues, create clear supervisor engagement plan for each account before the start of internship to ensure roles are clear
- Proactively ensure bi-weekly contact with interns and supervisors to monitor performance and satisfaction via phone, email, or in-person meeting; provide coaching where appropriate.
- Track performance status across the internship portfolio (based on ongoing feedback, supervisor/intern survey responses, and other performance data) and highlight key trends for consideration
- Resolve "tier 1" issues and coordinate response to more significant issues by escalating to Program Managers, coaches, Student Services, and Corporate Engagement colleagues
- Support Program Managers in the development of performance improvement (EPIC) plans for interns, gathering feedback from interns and managers, and communicating closely with Corporate Engagement team
- Review timesheets and status reports weekly to ensure on-time completion and accuracy, as well as alignment with the online student contract.
- As appropriate and in partnership with Corporate Engagement colleagues, support planning and delivery of events designed to improve the supervisor experience (i.e. Corporate Partner Days/Roundtables)
- Uphold the 'high service, high support, high expectations' program model in interactions with all stakeholders
- When employers intend to make an employment offer to an intern, understand account-specific conversion processes and work with partner HR or staffing agencies to ensure interns complete paperwork/process as needed
- Maintain close communication with Employment Placement colleagues to ensure interns are factoring conversion opportunities into their overall job search
- Enter employment records in Salesforce for intern conversions
Site Team/Learning Community Member
- Serve as a coach/mentor for a small number of current students
- Join and sometimes facilitate weekly group sessions with students
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings
- Experience in a corporate or business setting preferred
- Experience in developing and maintaining relationships preferred; a consummate networker who is able to move comfortably and credibly in the corporate community
- Salesforce.com experience preferred
- Stellar customer service skills with solid follow up and follow through practices
- Documented strengths in meaningful relationship building, management and growth
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Event management skills a plus
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- A professional and resourceful style with the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Comfortable with ambiguity, and proactive in taking the lead when opportunities arise
- Ability to plan, introduce and lead a process that enables high quality growth
- Ability to lead, willingness to be led, and comfortable with situational leadership
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications especially Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, and development databases required
- A passion for working with urban young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential and a strong commitment to the mission of Year Up
- Understanding of the Opportunity Divide and its drivers
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: Competitive and commensurate with education and experience
- Benefits: Competitive package including 100% healthcare coverage, dental, and 401(k) match
- Vacation: Three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks after initial year
- Professional development: Funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives
Year Up is an award-winning national 501(c)3 organization with a mission to close the Opportunity Divide by providing young adults ages 18-24 with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education. Through a one-year intensive program, Year Up utilizes a high support, high expectations model that combines hands-on technical and professional skills, educational stipends, college-level coursework, and corporate internships at more than 250 top companies. Its holistic approach focuses on students' professional and personal development to place talented and motivated young adults on a viable path to economic self-sufficiency.
Year Up has served more than 19,500 young adults since its founding in 2000, and will serve more than 4,000 young adults in 2018 nationwide. Year Up currently serves 21 U.S. cities across 16 markets, including Arizona, Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Greater Atlanta, Greater Boston, Greater Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, the National Capital Region, New York City, Providence, Puget Sound, San Francisco Bay Area, South Florida, and Wilmington.
Voted one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For in the country by The NonProfit Times for eight consecutive years, Year Up is a rewarding place to work. Our staff is passionate, supportive, mission-driven, and committed to positive change and continuous learning. We set high standards for both ourselves and our students, and live by a set of core values that reflect an unshakable belief in the talent and full potential of our young people. The work we do is life-changing, and we know that our team is the greatest asset in achieving our mission.
Year Up participates in E-Verify.
Please visit http://www.yearup.org/careers to learn more about working at Year Up, and to see a list of current opportunities.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Year Up actively engages individuals from all backgrounds. We are committed to embracing diversity within our organization because we firmly believe that diverse employee teams help us to achieve our best organizational outcomes and provide the most effective support to our young adults as we work to close the Opportunity Divide. We are deeply dedicated to creating and maintaining an inclusive and supportive work environment. Learn more about our commitment to diversity:http://www.yearup.org/about-us/careers/commitment-to-diversity/
As an equal opportunity employer, Year Up is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume through our website.
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. We respectfully request no phone calls.
Minimum Education Required