Details: Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
28 West 44th Street
Founded in 1993 by Evelyn H. Lauder, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation is the largest nonprofit funder of breast cancer research this year awarding $59.5 million in grants to 275 scientists across the globe. BCRF is the top-rated breast cancer research organization in the US. The BCRF Scientific Program Manager (SPM) manages the scientific and administrative aspects of BCRF’s annual grants programs, as well as special projects within the BCRF breast cancer research grants portfolio. The SPM reports directly to the Director of Scientific Communications and Grants, with peripheral reporting to the Chief Mission Officer (CMO).
Primary scientific and general administrative responsibilities include:
· Serve as primary point of contact to applicants, awardees, institution officials and sponsors, when applicable
· Manage the online grants management system, incorporating software update into processes
· Supervise the maintenance of the research program dashboard, historical awards tracking, preparation of Scientific Advisory Board and BCRF Board documents
· Manage and supervise the Research Program Manager
· Facilitate projects by maintaining regular contact with the grantees (phone calls, webinars and site visits)
· Participate in regularly scheduled team meetings and one-on-one meetings
· Travel and represent BCRF at scientific conferences, donor events and meetings
· Oversee intern(s) training, project execution and progress
· Become the scientific content expert for one or more of the areas of focus of BCRF research funding, while maintaining a relatively deep understanding of the entire grants portfolio
o Special research programs currently include: (i) Investigator-Initiated Drug Research Program; (ii) Mathematical Oncology Initiative; and (iiI) Precision-Prevention Initiative; and (iv) Founder’s Fund for Metastatic Breast Cancer.
Pre- and Post-Award Grants Administration
BCRF’s annual grants program has proposals due June 15 each year, with one-year award terms of October 1 through the following September 30.
· Manage the review, maintenance and distribution of program announcements, applications, report forms, policies and procedures, grant administration standard operating procedures
· Oversee scientific and administrative review of proposals and progress reports
· Oversee grant execution, including intellectual property review, grant agreements and coordination of payments
· Oversee the collection and review of all programmatic progress and financial reports, no cost award term extensions, and carry-forward balances
· Prepare sponsor reports and communications on project successes and impact
What BCRF brings to the fight against breast cancer:
BCRF is the largest nonprofit funder of breast cancer research awarding $59.5-million this year. BCRF is the top-rated charitable organization in this space. BCRF produces these results in a fast-paced, high-volume workload office with a few dozen passionate and driven staff all eager to make a difference in the fight against breast cancer.
The Research Department is a small, but dynamic team of individuals within BCRF that works to ensure that the BCRF Research Program and the investigators it supports are successful in achieving the Foundation’s mission to prevent and cure breast cancer by advancing the world's most promising research. The Research Program team includes a Chief Mission Officer; a Director of Scientific Communications and Grants; a Scientific Program Manager (this position); a Research Program Manager; and shared Financial and Administrative Support. The team works collaboratively across BCRF with staff from the communications, development, partnerships and finance departments.
The Scientific Program Manager reports to the Director, Scientific Communications and Grants, with matrix reporting to the Chief Mission Officer.
This job might be for you if:
You have experience in grants administration and project and/or program management in the biotechnology, nonprofit or academic setting. (Non-profit experience is preferred.);
You have an advanced scientific degree in the biomedical sciences (PhD or equivalent);
You have knowledge about breast cancer and cancer biology;
You have strong database use, data management and analysis skills. BCRF utilizes Foundant Technologies Grant Lifecycle Management for our grants management database. High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel is essential. The BCRF research team also utilizes EndNote for tracking references, and Asana and Slack for project management.
You have excellent written and verbal communication skills and communicate clearly and effectively to multiple stakeholders, including co-workers, BCRF funded scientific investigators, board members, donors and the lay public; enjoy travel – note that some travel is required;
You pay attention to the details, are well organized, and have strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
You have the ability to take initiative and make independent informed decisions; but work collaboratively with the Research Team and all of BCRF; You are versatile, adaptable, and able to manage multiple deadlines and work in partnership across all functions in the organization;
You are motivated and driven, as demonstrated by a willingness and enthusiasm to identify and undertake new challenges that contribute to program development and/or efficiency. You will take ownership of the time you spend at BCRF towards truly making a difference in the fight against breast cancer.
BCRF is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified applicants should submit their application as one PDF file or Word file via e-mail and are required to include a cover letter and resume that detail the applicant’s qualifications and specific interest in the position. Links to websites such as LinkedIn may be provided in addition to a resume but are not a substitute for a resume.
Please submit your application via email to email@example.com with the following subject line of email: [Your Last Name] – Scientific Program Manager position.
Thank you for your interest. Due to the high volume of applications, please refrain from telephone calls, visits, faxes or additional emails.
Please no phone calls. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
BCRF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION