9901 MacArthur Boulevard
The Oral Lee Brown Foundation has been helping under-served Oakland youth break the cycle of poverty through education since 1987. Oral Lee Brown, the founder, will be transitioning out of day to day responsibilities into a supervisory and board position. The organization is seeking a highly motivated individual who can take the organization to the next level of growth.
The Oral Lee Brown Foundation: Executive Director Position
The Executive Director is the key management leader of The Oral Lee Brown Foundation (OLBF). The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, education programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, communications, student enhancement and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading OLBF in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Works with the chairperson of the board to provide board development and recruitment of strong board members
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of OLBF to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget. Ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support OLBF’s mission and growth objectives.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of OLBF programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that OLBF can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of OLBF’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Responsible for building relationships with other organizations to create partnerships with the goal of increasing and strengthening the outcomes of OLBF.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for effective administration of OLBF operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
5) Educational Development Works with the board and staff to develop the most effective educational programming to provide impactful results
· Responsible for the success of the Saturday program, including the hiring or recruitment of teachers and volunteers
· Expand the educational and life skills programs that are needed to ensure future success of our students
· Expand mentorship program
· Develop college visitation program
· Increase each grade level participation by 10% by 2020
- A bachelor’s degree
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience, preferably in the field of education or social services
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to work with youth, empathize with their challenges and enhance programs and support systems to help facilitate their success
- Ability to convey a vision of OLB’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, students and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members, volunteers and other community organizations
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
Actual Job Responsibilities:
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Work closely with program committee to enhance and develop programs for the enrichment and success of OLBF students
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serving as OLBF’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the state and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance OLBF’s Mission.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the Foundation throughout the State.
- Supervise and collaborate with organization staff and volunteers.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
Level of Language Proficiency
A minimum of 5 years work experience is required. Speaking Spanish would be nice but not necessary.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org