380 Washington St
Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? Join our team and put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children’s physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 2,500 schools in and reaches 1,250,000 students directly and through professional training services.
Our strategic goal is to ensure that 3.5 million children in 7,000 schools experience safe and healthy play every day by December 2020. This position will play a pivotal role in getting to that goal.
At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
Here’s where you come in:
In the role of Copywriter, you will be working alongside a team of talented marketers and communications professionals to help bring the Playworks brand to life across channels:
- Develop clear, concise, and compelling content for integrated fundraising and marketing campaigns and activities across several mediums
- Become an expert in the Playworks voice and tone
- Continue to evolve Playworks’ brand voice, always representing Playworks’ core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community, and healthy play.
- Proactively work with Playworkers (national and across our 23 regional offices) to scope requirements, objectives, and audiences for projects that require marketing copy, and execute on projects efficiently
- Revise, edit, and proofread content as needed or directed
- Identify opportunities to source compelling content
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications or marketing and/or equivalent combination of education and experience in related field
- Three+ years related experience in an agency, nonprofit, or similar creative environment
- Experience developing impactful copy for fundraising strongly preferred
- Portfolio demonstrating compelling and personable copy that embodies and elevates the brand and its services/products (must include a mix of mediums)
- You're an awesome writer and an even better editor. You can self-edit your work and take unnecessary words away until it hurts
- An appreciation for and understanding of strategy as the backbone of strong creative work. You can ask the right questions to get to the right creative
- Ability to multitask and meet set deadlines in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities. Your attention to detail is a point of envy amongst friends
- Knowledge of SEO principles a plus
- Familiarity with commonly used style guidelines, proficient in Chicago style
- Initiative and independence, combined with the ability to work well as part of a team
- Demonstrable ability to prioritize and execute against multiple projects simultaneously
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience
- Full-time exempt position
- Based at our headquarters office in Oakland, CA. If you are outside of the SF Bay Area, we allow the option to work remotely at one of our regional offices in other states throughout the US
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with employer match, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role
- Digital portfolio of your writing
References will be requested as needed
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.
Minimum Education Required