Food & Water Action is a leading nonprofit running strategic campaigns to move America Off Fossil Fuels, ensure safe drinking water for all, and challenge the corporate control of our food, water and democracy. We utilize online and field organizing to build the people power we need to win real victories – including banning fracking in New York and Maryland, stopping the TPP in its tracks and banning the toxin arsenic from being used in chicken production. We are proud progressives who don’t accept any corporate or government funding so we can stand up for what we believe in without any conflicts of interest. Food & Water Action is a 501(c)4 nonprofit, and works as the political arm of Food & Water Watch.
The Chester County Elections Organizer will be working with Food & Water Action Staff, volunteers, and community members in Chester County to elect candidates who will move Pennsylvania off of fossil fuels. This position will focus on working to mobilize Food & Water Action members, and the general public, get out the vote for candidates in November’s general election. We will primarily rely on canvassing to have face-to-face conversations with voters.
This is a temporary position starting as soon as possible and running to the week following the election. This organizer will report to the Pennsylvania Director, and will be supported by other regional staff. The organizer will have workspace available at our Philadelphia office, and at a coalition-run office space in West Chester.
1. Plan volunteer canvas operations in target communities
2. Recruit and train volunteers in effective canvassing
3. Maintain a thorough and deep understanding of environmental issues in the region
4. Build grassroots volunteer infrastructure
5. Maintain campaign data, using database to track our outreach work, schedule volunteers for canvassing shifts, and track volunteer development
6. Develop volunteer roles that will advance our campaign strategy, and build volunteers’ investment in our campaign by plugging them into these roles
7. Participate in membership recruitment and fund raising for Food & Water Action
8. Maintain close relationships with and engage local coalition allies
9. Represent Food & Water Action at public events and with local media
10. Other duties as required
● Experience field organizing on progressive issues in Chester County. Experience canvassing and using VAN/MiniVAN is a plus
● Knowledge: Organizing, pipelines, leadership development, canvassing
● Excellent organizational skills. Needs to be able to track campaign performance in VAN daily
● Work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks at once, and adapt to changing situations on a daily basis. High level of independent judgment.
● Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of Food & Water Action. Long hours possible, especially in the lead up to the election.
● Applicant must be legally eligible to work in the United States. This position requires travel and access to a vehicle
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer paid medical/dental/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link:
Please include your resume, cover letter and three professional references to be considered.