1640 Rhode Island Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.T
he Planned Giving Officer qualifies, cultivates, solicits, closes, and manages the stewardship of donors and prospects who are interested in including a planned gift to the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) in their will, trust, or other estate plan. This will be accomplished through interactive and highly personalized relationship-building. Face-to-face visits, phone conversations, and personalized correspondence will be the foundation for growing meaningful connections. The impact of this work will result in significant growth of planned gifts and gift commitments that will help ensure that HRC’s work will continue for future generations.
· Qualifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards current and prospective planned giving donors, through personalized correspondence, telephone calls and face-to-face visits.
· Develops and maintains ongoing relationships with planned giving donors and prospects. Conducts stewardship visits to enhance commitment to HRC.
· Responds to planned giving inquiries or leads generated and follows up with appropriate cultivation and stewardship methods to close gifts.
· Upon notification of a planned giving gift intention, ensures donors are thanked promptly and properly. Records donor information and updates records as needed in appropriate database.
· Prepares life income gift proposals for donors and their advisors and follows up via telephone, correspondence, or visits as needed.
· Tracks and reports on progress, including contacts, leads, and closed gifts.
· Exhibits respect for and excellent service to donors and all supporters of HRC through prompt and courteous communication.
· Embraces a mission-driven, cohesive, and supportive attitude within the organization.
· Works collaboratively with mid and senior level Development staff.
· Provides mid and senior level Development staff with information and insights gleaned from extensive donor contacts to identify prospects for Major Gifts and other lifetime giving streams.
· Strategizes with Board of Directors to identify prospects and gifting strategies.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in experience required plus five or more years of proven fundraising experience with an emphasis in soliciting planned gifts and stewarding planned giving donors.
· Working knowledge of estate planning and/or planned giving fundraising is required. Experience explaining basic planned gift options, and soliciting and closing basic planned gifts is required.
· Proficient in PG Calc software desired.
· Must adhere to the highest ethical standards, demonstrate an empathetic disposition, have perseverance, reflect an optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to needs of donors.
· Must be well organized, detail-oriented and have proven experience in all aspects of prospect identification, moves management, and effective solicitation.
· Must be self-motivated and skilled at building strong donor relationships and bringing planned gift opportunities to fruition.
· Demonstrated proficiency in writing and strong communications skills. In particular, the individual should have public speaking experience or skills, be able to represent HRC in a variety of settings, and possess exceptional strength in the area of donor relations.
· Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of completing assignments.
· Flexibility with work schedule; Must be willing to travel and work evening and weekend hours. Must be willing to travel extensively, as at least 60% of work time may be out of the office.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word) and Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive)
· Strong interest in and knowledge of the rapidly changing LGBTQ equality movement.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please visit www.hrc.org/careers