1701 K Street, NW, Suite 1200
The National Consumers League (NCL) is seeking a highly motivated and creative Communications Associate to assist with promotion of education and advocacy efforts. NCL, established in 1899, is the nation’s oldest consumer advocacy organization and works on a variety of consumer and worker protection issues. The Communications Associate will work closely with the Vice President of Communications and other senior staff to shape the League’s national communications strategy.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate: the ability to produce clean, interesting copy quickly and efficiently; excellent critical thinking and organization skills; an eye for graphic design, a keen understanding of the media, expertise on planning and executing social media strategies; and the ability to take initiatives to help expand the communications department’s efforts. The League has a variety of programs that address diverse topics areas; organizing the different communications needs and efforts of program staff, especially with regard to social media, will be a core responsibility.
Social Media + Website Management (25%)
- Write content for and manage NCL’s social media channels including Facebook, Twitter,
- LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Create online campaigns to promote NCL activities and encourage NCL’s constituency to engage with the organization.
- Maintain NCL’s main website and From the Experts blog and assist with maintenance on other NCL campaign websites.
- Create email blasts to assist fundraising efforts and promote NCL activities.
- Track web analytics.
Graphic Design (45%)
- Applicant must be familiar with Adobe design programs including Photoshop and InDesign. Work samples will be required.
- Design infographics, one-pagers, event logos, brochures.
- Occasionally serve as printer liaison.
Research and Writing (15%)
- Research and investigate consumer and worker protection issues. The communications associate must have a passion for progressive consumer protection and be highly motivated to immerse themselves in NCL’s issues.
- Create memos and talking points to prepare program staff for interviews, testimonies, or remarks at an event.
- Proofreading, copyediting content generated by others. Must have good editing and attention to detail.
- Daily monitoring and dissemination of news clips.
Media Relations (15%)
- Work with program staff to write and edit press releases, op-eds, articles, and reports for public release.
- Pitch stories to reporters and coordinate interview logistics for staff.
- Field reporter inquiries.
- Super organized. Familiarity with content management systems, and graphics and desktop publishing software including PhotoShop and Adobe InDesign required.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Prefer 1 to 2 years- experience in communications, public relations, and/or online grassroots advocacy, with nonprofit experience a plus.
- Strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
- Solid record of achieving results in social media and experience with media relations.
- Graphic design experience.
- Detail-oriented and able to work well under tight time constraints.
- Flexibility, passion for the issues, superior work ethic, and a sense of humor are essential. Self-starter with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively about how to integrate fundraising into social media and online presence.
- Bi-lingual abilities a plus
Salary & Benefits
Salary based on experience and education, competitive with other nonprofit public interest organizations. Excellent benefits, including health, dental, short and long-term disability, life insurance, 401(k), flex time, annual and sick leave, and federal holidays. NCL is an equal opportunity employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a copy of your resume, cover letter and relevant examples of previous work (writing samples, designs, press releases etc) at the attention of the "Hiring Manager" to the designated address.