Consumer Watchdog Campaign Director
ABOUT THE JOB
Whether we’re taking on deceptive practices in the used car marketplace, speaking up for flyers’ rights against airline abuses, or ensuring the safety of prescription drugs, U.S. PIRG is working to protect consumers across all sectors of our economy.
We’re hiring a new Campaign Director to lead these campaigns and more, to build on our legacy of standing up for consumers. Over our 40-year history, we’ve been leaders in alerting consumers to threats in the marketplace to their health, safety, data security, and financial information, and calling for change, whether through legislation, administrative action, or corporate policy changes. We’ve passed hundreds of national, state, and local laws and policies that have reduced toxic chemical use, made government more transparent, and protected and empowered consumers.
The Consumer Watchdog Campaign Director will work to convince decision-makers to stop unfair practices, empower consumers, and ensure product safety and integrity in the marketplace. We’re looking for an experienced political advocate to be responsible for campaign development, media outreach, coalition-building, advocacy, and fundraising, as well as staff recruitment and development.
The Campaign Director will spearhead this program for consumer protection in coordination with Ed Mierzwinski, Director for the Consumer Program. Mr. Mierzwinski is widely recognized as one of the nation’s leading consumer advocates, regularly quoted in major newspapers including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post, called on to testify in Congress, and recognized by The Hill as a “Top Lobbyist.”
- Program Development: Help develop programs and campaigns, including by researching issues, creating viable policy solutions, and proposing political strategy and messaging.
- Advocacy: Advocate for policies that will protect and empower consumers. Build relationships with players in key regulatory agencies, statehouses, in Congress, and other forums where relevant decisions are being made.
- Campaign Strategy: Develop plans to win our campaigns using research, advocacy, coalition-building, media attention, and grassroots mobilization; assess opportunities for building political support for our agenda.
- Media Outreach: Serve as the spokesperson for our campaigns through media events, press releases and opinion writing.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundations, and meet with major donors, to bring more resources to our campaigns. Work with our citizen outreach staff to build and deepen our membership base.
- Staff Recruitment and Development: Recruit new staff and volunteers. Oversee other staff working on our Consumer Program team and provide training and leadership development.
- Watchdog: Keep abreast of consumer issues, raise the profile of consumer issues in the media.
Candidates must have at least 8 years of relevant professional experience. Advanced degrees like a JD, or a master’s degree may count toward experience. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to public interest or consumer issues and to citizen-based social change, as well as a track record of leadership. We're looking for people who are goal-driven and results-oriented, who have excellent verbal, written and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for making positive policy change.
Chicago, Boston or Washington, D.C.
Please apply using our online application http://jobs.uspirg.org/apply.html Direct your application to Andre Delattre, Executive Director of U.S. PIRG.
Visit http://jobs.uspirg.org/core-values.html to learn what you should know about the network before you apply.
The Community Voters Project is hiring Canvass Directors to help increase voter registration and ensure everyone’s voice is heard in our democracy this election. Canvass Directors will recruit and oversee a team of committed canvasser activists and help increase participation of underrepresented communities in the 2018 elections. Learn more here: https://communityvotersproject.org/jobs.
U.S. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status
Minimum Education Required