FINANCE AND OPERATIONS ASSOCIATE MANAGER - 2018-2019 - (BROOKE CHARTER SCHOOL NETWORK)
- Job posted by Brooke Charter Schools
Background on Brooke
Founded in 2002, Brooke Charter Schools is a network of college preparatory public schools with five campuses in Boston. Brooke currently serves 1,730 students in grades K-10 and will grow to serve 2,200 students in grades K-12 by 2022.
Named after the late Senator Edward W. Brooke, the first African-American popularly elected to the U.S. Senate, our strategy is to focus relentlessly on developing excellent teaching. Reflecting the diversity of the communities we serve in Boston and Chelsea, 56% of Brooke students self-identify as Black, 34% as Latino, 6% Caucasian, 2% Asian, and 2% Native American or multiracial. About three-quarters of Brooke students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. Over the last several years, Brooke students have set a new bar for what is possible in urban public education, consistently outperforming their peers in Boston Public Schools, and producing academic achievement results among the highest in the state.
Reporting to the Finance Director, the Finance and Operations Associate Manager will play a key part in the Network Finance, Human Resource and Operations Office. This role will work in close coordination with the Finance Director and the Director of Network Operations to provide support in the monthly accounting cycle, financial reporting, state and federal compliance reporting, and human resource services delivery. This person will interact with employees, vendors, and contractors as a representative of Brooke Charter School, and is expected to maintain the highest standard of professionalism, confidentiality, and responsiveness. There will some required travel between school campuses, external meetings and other activities related to the role.
Specific responsibilities related to the day-to-day operations include:
Accounting & Budgeting
- Perform bank reconciliations of all bank accounts
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations such as fixed assets
- Manage the accounting receivable and cash deposit function, including preparing and sending invoices
- Prepare manual and adjusting journal entries
- Contribute to month-end close activities and preparations for annual audits
- Assist with planning and budgeting, and procurement for specific operational accounts such as operating leases and capital requisitions
Internal and External Financial Reporting
- Prepare financial reports for external stakeholder including the DESE, and grant makers
- Prepare school and departmental monthly and ad hoc financial reporting including budget v. actual analysis and forecasting
- Aid in the preparation of the quarterly reporting for Brooke Board Directors
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements, quarterly financial reviews and reconciliations, and annual Fiscal Year and Calendar Year audits
- Coordinate the development of Federal and State grant budgets, on-going reporting requirements, and grant-specific audits under the guidance of Finance Director
- Support the transition to a cloud-based accounting system and paperless environment
- Identify opportunities and work to solve for operational efficiencies including implementing new processes and systems
- Assist with cultivating the organization on newly implemented electronic systems through written and oral communication
- Administer and coordinate compliance activities related to the Nutrition and Transportation programs
- Support the Director of Network Operations with preparation and maintenance of compliance materials, including federal and state reports, and network compliance documents and activities.
- Assist the Director of Network Operations with development and implementation of systems and standard operating procedures in areas including, emergency preparedness, purchasing and procurement, facilities management, and general school operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Finance Director and Director of Network Operations commensurate with the role of Finance and Operations Associate Manager
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree, Business and Accounting degree a plus
- 3 to 4 years minimum full time work experience in a business office
- Collaborative team player and positive customer service attitude
- Advanced Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Keen attention to detail
- Familiarity and comfort with financial systems
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Deadline-driven and solutions-oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Adherence to the highest standards of ethical conduct and confidentiality
- Passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools
The community and students we serve are diverse, and we are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. We strive to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience to prepare our students for a future reflective of the world we live in.
Minimum Education Required