Details: Salary is competitive and dependent on experience.
Day One seeks a Staff Attorney to join our legal team which uses the law to fight for young survivors and promote healthy relationships. Candidates should have strong collaboration skills and work equally well with young people, community leaders, social service providers and volunteers. The staff attorney will report to the Director of Legal Services.
Day One Overview
Since 2003, Day One has been the only organization in New York devoting its full resources to preventing intimate partner violence (IPV) among young people. Day One partners with youth to end dating abuse and domestic violence through community education, supportive services, legal advocacy and leadership development. Our multi-disciplinary approach brings together a highly collaborative staff with expertise in legal, social service and education service provision. Serving New York City youth up to 24 years of age, our Direct Services Program provides direct legal representation, advice and information, individual and group counseling and case management services to clients.
Through the Community Education Program, Day One educates young people in schools and youth programs about IPV, consent, and healthy relationships, and trains professionals and parents to support teens experiencing abuse. Our Youth Voices Network is a group of young survivors who conduct awareness and advocacy projects, sharing their stories to promote healing and prevention. Day One recognizes that anti-violence work is emotionally demanding and professionally complex. We strive to create an office culture that invests in the wellness of staff and leads to employee sustainability. Office policies are designed to promote healthful practices and establish a supportive and collaborative environment for and among staff.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Represent clients in Family Court and the Integrated Domestic Violence Courts (IDV) in cases including: orders of protection, custody, visitation, child support, and special findings orders for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
● Advocate for young survivors of IPV criminal justice, school administration hearings, housing, immigration, and public benefits
● Collaborate with Day One’s social service providers to deliver holistic services to clients
● Conduct trainings for lawyers, law enforcement, judges and other adults related to IPV among youth and the laws impacting young survivors
● Coordinate community outreach and awareness activities related to teen relationship abuse
● Represent Day One at meetings, conferences and panels, and forge collaborations with other community-based organizations
● Participate in policy and program development to reduce IPV among youth, maintain high quality services and design innovative programming for youth
● Develop educational materials for teens, young adults and professionals who work with youth
● Help complete grant reporting and data collection
● Enthusiasm for Day One’s mission a demonstrated commitment to social justice
● Admission to the New York State Bar
● At least two years of legal experience working in Family Court, with youth/survivors of IPV OR representing clients in affirmative immigration applications before USCIS,
● Respect for young people and commitment to implementing youth-empowerment programming
● Bilingual in Spanish and English strongly preferred
● Exceptional written, verbal and organizational skills
● Excellent judgment, attention to detail and time management skills
● Creativity, energy and a sense of humor
● Knowledge of additional areas of relevant law including education law, housing law, child protective proceedings or public benefits a plus
● Experience working and communicating with youth, victims of dating and sexual violence, immigrants, students, individuals identifying as LGBTQ+
Day One offers a benefits package that includes health, dental and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; a 401k retirement plan with match; and generous vacation.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Spanish and English strongly preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send by email a resume and a cover letter, to Andrew Sta. Ana at email@example.com using the subject line “Staff Attorney.” Please describe your interest in the position, include your gender pronouns, and provide your salary requirement in your cover letter. We regret that only applicants considered for the position will be contacted by Day One.
Day One does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other category protected by law. We are genuinely committed to these principles of equity and inclusion, which are core to our organizational culture and our approach to service. To truly make a difference, we must ensure that our staff, partners, volunteers and supporters reflect the communities in which we work.