Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
477 Longwood Avenue
The only school of its kind in the country, Beacon Academy is a full-time gap year program for students between 8th and 9th grade. Beacon uniquely challenges the achievement gaps in Boston by emboldening intelligent and determined urban students to push past limitations, forge a lifelong community, and achieve their full potential. Upon the completion of our students’ first year, Beacon continues to work with graduates over the next 10 years to achieve their full potential in competitive independent high schools, colleges and into their first professional jobs. Beacon’s 10 staff and faculty work closely as a team. They are bold, creative, energetic, passionate, and fiercely committed to Beacon’s mission and the success of each student and graduate.
The Development Associate is responsible for day-to-day operations of Beacon’s fundraising as well as supporting Beacon’s community engagement efforts through event support and design of collateral.
Reporting to the Founder, this position's primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by operationalizing the organization’s project and fundraising efforts.
Working with the entirety of Beacon, the position supports general operations, engagement programs, and fundraising activities as well as the implementation of organizational strategies, policies, and practices.
Beacon employees commit to a 50-hour work week
Responsibilities and Duties
- Database Management - Update and manage the development side of Salesforce, including: tracking pledges and donations, sending acknowledgment letters and pledge reminders; reporting on donors, income, and events; updating data; and assisting others in the use of Salesforce
- Financial - Analyze fundraising data on events, donors, and income; assist Founders in setting income goals; work with Bookkeeper to reconcile Salesforce and QuickBooks and track donations; assist Bookkeeper with audit preparation and reporting
- Design - Use InDesign and other applications to create Beacon collateral in collaboration with the development team and other staff, including: the Beacon Overview, Spring Celebration and Graduation programs, event invitations and posters, the annual appeal, and other miscellaneous materials
- Event Support - Work in collaboration with the development team to support all events and communications
- Grants - Work with Founder and a part-time Grant Writer in the execution of grants, including: managing grant deadlines, proofreading drafts, collecting organizational data, and submitting final grants with relevant attachments (Beacon raises over $300,000 a year through grants)
- Social Media/Communications – Update the Beacon website as needed, post to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter sometimes; assist with Constant Contact communications
- Board/Volunteer Support – Support the Director of Engagement in the management of the board and other volunteers, including: helping create materials for meetings, providing data, etc.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Mastery of Microsoft Office applications
- Mastery of Google applications
- Familiarity with Salesforce
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign especially)
Benefits include: Free breakfast and lunch offered at Beacon on most days during the school year. Medical & Dental Insurance, retirement plans, and company-wide retreats.
Minimum Education Required