The Helpline Trauma Therapist (HTT) provides both comprehensive telephonic services and face-to-face trauma treatment to clients and families impacted by all forms of crime and abuse. Some of the services provided by the HTT include safety assessment, risk management, phone counseling, scheduling of appointments at Community Program sites and the provision of information and referrals to service providers within and outside Safe Horizon. The HTT coordinates with other Safe Horizon programs and local agencies to provide short and long term care necessary to meet the needs of victims of violence.
The HTT also maintains a caseload of therapy clients at the Counseling Center. These clients are children and adults who have been traumatized by interpersonal violence. The HTT receives extensive training in evidence-based, trauma-focused treatment and provides these treatments to Counseling Center clients. These treatments include Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT), Attachment, Self-Regulation, and Competency (ARC), Seeking Safety, and Child-Parent Psychotherapy (CPP). These hours of clinical practice meet the supervision and experience requirements accepted by the New York State Education Department for LCSW licensure.
- Learn and integrate a trauma-informed, client-centered approach, using an anti-oppressive lens, into your work with clients.
- Provide telephonic intake and assessment for individuals seeking assistance and engage in collaborative safety assessment and risk management
- Provide information and referrals for other Safe Horizon services such as shelters and long-term counseling, and schedules appointment for clients interested in receiving ongoing services at a Community Program site;
- Provide information regarding public assistance and other entitlements, and assistance with OVS applications;
- Provide time-limited, trauma focused telephone counseling and/or case management to clients as needed;
- Provide assessment for clients requesting trauma treatment and coordinate scheduling with Counseling Center as appropriate;
- Appropriately represent interventions implemented at the Counseling Center and specify appropriateness for each intervention, as needed.
- Engage in special projects as these materialize.
- Engage/follow up with clients who have gone through the Counseling Center’s intake process but, for whatever reason, can’t engage in treatment, with goal of pursuing alternative counseling options.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with other Safe Horizon staff members, especially with Safe Horizon Counseling Center staff, and other service providers
- Participate in individual and group supervision at the Helpline
- Conducts thorough trauma assessments using nationally validated measure of PTSD
- Establishes multi-axial DSM diagnoses
- Develops individualized trauma-focused treatment plans to address PTSD and reassesses progress or obstacles to treatment on a quarterly basis.
- · Provides evidence-based, trauma-focused treatment, including TFCBT, ARC, Seeking Safety, TFT, and/or CPP, to a caseload of child and adult survivors of crime and abuse.
- Maintains timely and accurate documentation of all clinical activities in compliance with all Safe Horizon, City, State and Federal requirements
- Actively participates in weekly individual and treatment-specific group supervision at SHCC
- Other Safe Horizon programs and departments
- External partners, referral sources
- One year of experience in a social service setting with victims of domestic violence, rape survivors, or other crime victims.
- The minimum credential for this position is LMSW – a limited permit pending licensure will be considered for highly qualified candidates.
- Demonstrates exceptional engagement skills, not only with clients but also with referral partners within and outside of Safe Horizon
- Compliance with Safe Horizon, OMH, DOHMH, and HIPAA regulations
- Superior assessment and crisis intervention skills (extreme coping, child abuse reporting)
- Excellent interpersonal skills required (including written, verbal, presentation and clinical engagement skills)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information: