District of Columbia
The human resource generalist is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with senior management in supporting staff. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: benefits administration, employee relations, training, performance management, onboarding, policy implementation, recruitment/employment, affirmative action and employment law compliance.
- Administers various human resource plans and procedures for all organization personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains the employee handbook and the policies and procedures manual.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems.
- Administers the compensation program; monitors the performance evaluation program and revises as necessary.
- Performs benefits administration, including claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment and communicating benefits information to employees.
- Develops and maintains affirmative action program; files EEO-1 report annually; and maintains other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
- Conducts recruitment effort for all exempt and nonexempt personnel, students and temporary employees; conducts new-employee orientations in partnership with relevant parties; monitors career-pathing program; and writes and places advertisements.
- Coordinating all recruitment and selection processes, background screening, onboarding, performance management administration and termination processes including conducting new hire orientations, exit interviews and so on
- Handles employee relations counseling, outplacement counseling and exit interviewing.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Maintains company organization charts and the employee directory.
- Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions and results of department in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to continually improve efficiency of the department and services performed.
- Maintains human resource information system records and compiles reports from the database.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations.
- Coordinate and draft, as needed, operations / human resource policy, procedure information and updates to employee policy materials (incl. employee handbooks)
- Contribute to building enhanced employee engagement including identifying opportunities to build increased collaboration and sharing of knowledge across teams
- In liaison with key managers, manage and ensure the provision of professional development and other learning opportunities across the organization
- Ethical Practice.
- Global & Cultural Awareness.
- HR Expertise.
- Relationship Management.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, photocopiers and smartphones.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Little to no travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- A bachelor's degree and three to five years of HR experience, or a master's degree in HR management and two years of experience in the HR field, or seven years of experience in the HR field, or any similar combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Masters' degree in human resources or related field.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) credential.
- Three to five years human resources experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification or ability to obtain certification within 12 months of hire date.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
health, vision, transportation, PTO and holidays
Minimum Education Required