Details: Commensurate with Experience
1140 3rd Street Northeast
District of Columbia
Term Position Available (December 2018 – September 2019
The communications manager position is responsible for raising the public profile of the Humanities Council of Washington D.C. (HDC) while supporting fundraising, event, and programmatic activities of the organization. This position reports to the Deputy Director of Operations and is one of two communications roles within the organization.
- Develops and executes a strategic communications plan for HDC, which raises its public profile and garners attention for its accomplishments, grant offerings, and capacity-building workshops including grantee workshops through several channels including earned media, paid media, and social media
- Manages communications associate who writes regular e-newsletters, updates Council website, and writes press releases and other publicly-facing materials
- Helps Executive Director prepare approach and materials for ongoing, directed strategy to communicate with DC Agencies and the City Council.
- Will manage HumanitiesDC website redesign.
- Uses performance metrics from grants and programs when creating marketing materials and collaborates with program staff to obtain these figures Makes budget and finance decisions based on budget analyses and support from the accountant
- Collaborates with fundraising team to draft materials used to support fundraising activities
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A minimum of three years’ experience performing external-relations duties in a non-profit or similar organization.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Working relationships with members of local Washington, DC media outlets preferred.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required