You are resourceful, organized, discerning, and persistent. You are a top-notch project manager and are a confident communicator; you believe you would be comfortable communicating with the incarcerated and with prison system authorities to keep Defy’s program on track. You have a strong sense of urgency and are known as a trustworthy, dependable executor. You are most satisfied when your work has deep, meaningful impact. At Defy, your challenge is to manage the complex relationships and seize on the opportunities that allow life-transformingforming work to thrive and grow in our Colorado in-prison program.
We look for the following when evaluating new teammates:
- Culture fit: we have a spirited/ambitious/fun culture that is passionate about redeeming lives and restoring communities. We strive to display heart, empathy, and resolve in our daily interactions with one another.
- Organizational prowess: You are a strong project manager, capable of driving multiple work streams and stakeholders toward deadlines and juggling priorities in a dynamic environment.
You will be entrusted with your own share of massive responsibility.
You will have the support of teammates who look out for you and want you to succeed.
You will make a difference.
Although Defy is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, we take pride in our application of corporate best practices and operate as a lean, results-oriented startup. This high-impact opportunity is perfectly suited for a professional looking to transition out of the corporate world. Many of our most successful employees come from for-profit backgrounds.
- Manage the day-to-day regional operations of Defy’s multi-site, in-prison program
- Coordinate with Defy’s regional and national staff to ensure programmatic requirements are met
- Serve as a liaison between prison officials and Defy team members
- Visit each prison facility regularly to manage program challenges and opportunities and address questions and concerns of staff and participants
- Oversee the management of all program materials
- Connect participants and their support groups with other Defy resources
- Manage program-related events both in the prisons and in the community
- Manage post-release transition of participants
- Track participant data, produce reports and metrics, and provide feedback for program improvement
- Minimum 3 years of experience in program or project management, or in a position that relies heavily on strong execution (e.g., logistics management)
- High emotional intelligence and ability to connect with people and assess their needs quickly and effectively
- Collaborative team player with a "can do" attitude; willing to roll up sleeves and do whatever it takes to support team priorities
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, with the ability to intelligently and credibly articulate Defy’s story and mission
- Independent, self-starter who takes the initiative to identify and assist in resolving issues both within and beyond areas of direct responsibility
- Excellent judgment and ability to maintain effectiveness, professional demeanor, and positive attitude, even in ambiguous situations and during high-pressure periods
- Organized, efficient, and willing to get better at both
- Persistent, creative and resilient problem solver. Does not give up and finds ways to learn quickly, try new strategy and improve based on experience
- Weekly prison visits require ability to clear a criminal background check
Minimum Education Required