Queens Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. We transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of offering pioneering programs and services to the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 65 locations.
The Queens Library is currently seeking a Director of Strategic Initiatives and Planning. Under the direction of the Chief of Staff, this position will lead the implementation and oversight of Queens Library’s strategic plan across the organization and work across departments to drive strategic initiatives, partnerships, and innovation that advance the Library’s mission and vision. This individual will also manage organizational performance and effectiveness and will collaborate with various departments on data collection and outcomes analysis. The Director of Strategic Initiatives and Planning will serve as a key member of the senior leadership team. Specific duties include:
Strategic Initiatives and Planning
- Leads the refinement, implementation, and oversight of Queens Library’s strategic plan across the organization.
- Drives strategic initiatives, partnerships, and innovation aligned to the strategic plan.
- Engages senior leadership, staff, and other stakeholders in strategic planning and execution, facilitates cross-functional team efforts, and drafts communications related to new initiatives and the strategic plan.
- As a key member of the Leadership Team, collaborates with staff throughout the organization to establish and review key strategic priorities and translate them into comprehensive and viable action plans.
- Ensures departmental strategic planning projects reflect organizational priorities and long-term goals.
- Identifies areas for improvement and growth and assesses feasibility of undertaking new initiatives.
- Reviews, revises, and maintains the systems for monitoring progress of the strategic plan.
- Leads cross-functional team process in monitoring execution of set strategies and benchmarks to measure effectiveness.
- Develops, executes, and sustains new and transformational initiatives.
- Promotes organizational culture and values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Organizational Analysis and Performance
- Directs assessment of internal data on library programs and services.
- Uses external data sources to conduct needs assessments, identify potential new projects, and apply lessons learned and best practices from evidence-based programs.
- Manages the Library’s performance dashboard and measures, including operational data (circulation, program attendance, gate count, and technology usage). Performs outcomes analysis and New York City and New York State reporting.
- Drives analysis of data to identify organizational priorities and establish goals.
- Helps align work with measurable outcomes.
- Supervises Strategic Initiatives and Planning team.
- Supports the development and overall performance of the team.
The schedule for this position will include some weekends and evenings.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree or other advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience.
- At least five years of project management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage initiatives and deliverables across complex organizations with multiple constituencies and audiences.
- Experience managing a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated experience improving the effectiveness of complicated organizations and pioneering innovative solutions to intricate problems.
- Outstanding creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, to multi-task, and to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience developing and implementing plans and related metrics.
- Ability to motivate and collaborate well with others.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Queens Library.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, specifically MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Due to the extremely sensitive and confidential nature of matters which may fall under the strategic duties of this position, a high level of discretion, professionalism and sound judgment is essential.
To Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to Employment@queenslibrary.org and reference “Director of Strategic Initiatives and Planning – EXTERNAL” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required