Bilingual Early Learning Specialist - Parent Child Home Program (PCHP)
- Job posted by Newark Trust for Education
Details: Competitive rates commensurate with experience
Type of Position: 1 Year, Full-time, grant-funded position with possibility of extension.
About the Parent Child Home Program
PCHP is a research-based early literacy, school readiness, parenting education program that prepares children for school success by increasing language, literacy, and numeracy skills, enhancing social-emotional development, and strengthening the parent-child relationship. The program provides two cycles of intensive home visiting to families with children 16 months to four years old who are challenged by poverty, low levels of education, language and literacy barriers, and other obstacles to healthy child development and education success.
- Complete 16-hours of training delivered by local site Coordinator prior to beginning home visits, and other training mandated by state, locality, or agency, including child abuse and neglect training.
- Conduct twice-weekly home visits with program families to demonstrate the use of educational books or toys and to monitor progress.
- Facilitate play and verbal interaction during home visits, and show the parent(s) how to engage their child in positive communications, build a strong parent-child relationship, and teach the child the basic concepts s/he will need when it is time to enter kindergarten.
- Conduct bi-annual evaluations of each family’s progress in the program and collaborate with other community agencies to provide additional services to program families as needed.
- Demonstrate an adequate level of literacy and observational skills necessary to write anecdotal home session reports and to complete child and parent evaluations.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding program families and program staff.
- Assist with maintenance an inventory of parent resource materials and coordinating family check-out procedures of resource materials.
- Maintain individual records on children including screenings, assessments, referrals, progress reports, documentation of home visitation activities, etc.
- Must have a High School diploma or equivalent.
- Background check required.
- Bilingual: English/ Spanish, and/or English/Portuguese.
- Warmth and patience when dealing with toddlers and families.
- Enjoys working independently and has a strong sense of responsibility regarding carrying out job duties without daily supervision.
- Ability to work as a team member collaborating with parents and community resources.
- Non-judgmental attitude toward Program families.
- Flexible, can deal with a variety of circumstances as they occur, and shows good judgment in seeking help, when needed.
- Shows an interest in learning the theory, techniques, and goals of the Program and has a willingness to learn on an ongoing basis.
- Knows the community being served.
- Has some experience working with young children or parents and/or with community based organizations (paid or volunteer).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Intermediate to advanced computer skills, internet and e-mail.
- Experience with special needs populations a plus.
Newark Trust for Education provides a comprehensive benefits package for all full-time employees.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in English, Spanish and/or Portuguese.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Bilingual Early Learning Specialist.