Best Friends Animal Society
5001 Angel Canyon Rd
Puppy 60% / Clinic 40%
Work closely with veterinarians and all clinic staff, Dogtown staff/management to provide medical care to all puppy patients as well as some Dogtown dogs within the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary Dogtown department. Duties encompass a wide array of tasks including but not limited to medical record management, caregiver communication, multiple aspects of veterinary nursing care, and financial itemization for services provided. Must be able to perform both general and advanced skills independently for a large population of puppies as well as assist in the main Clinic when the puppy census is low.
- Communicate professionally and with a high level of customer service to caregivers, veterinary staff, management and other Sanctuary departments regarding all job responsibilities, especially the health of sanctuary puppy patients and assigned Dogtown patients.
- Maintain the ability to follow policies and procedures set by the medical director and clinic manager.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding patient status/treatment, client information and other sensitive clinic operations.
- Act as liaison between veterinarians (internal and external), Clinic/Dogtown management, and Dogtown caregivers regarding the health, status, and welfare of Dogtown puppies and dogs.
- Must be able to work collectively within the team in managing/scheduling active medical cases.
- Perform and prioritize comprehensive intake exams and adoption processes on all puppies and puppy moms.
- Input and maintain all medical history in the medical database (Avimark).
- Perform diagnostic testing, set up vaccinations/deworming schedules to follow Best Friends protocol.
- Schedule all spay/neuters and provide follow up assessments.
- Provide assessments after other surgeries, procedures or treatments and provide feedback to veterinarians and caregivers.
- Assist caregivers with supplemental feedings and treatments as needed.
- General medical skills include but not limited to: ability to monitor health of Dogtown puppies and their moms when present, assist with appointments, triage for emergencies, routine general wellness checks, veterinarian ordered treatments and re-checks, interim follow-ups for long-term medications, and ensuring puppies are current on all preventative medical protocols.
- Have general surgical skills associated with general sedation: sterile technique, specialized equipment, routine procedures, recognizing anesthetic complications, dental, postoperative care.
- Have a general working knowledge of or willingness to learn to care for special needs puppies: incontinence, paralysis, neonatal puppies, neurologic, life-long illnesses ( Babesia, Brucellosis, ITP) etc.
- Provide medical care for puppies that have significant behavioral issues, which can include but is not limited to shyness, fearfulness and aggression.
- Independently perform proper and humane medical restraint techniques for multiple species.
- Have a working knowledge of the individual puppy in order to best contribute to decisions and communication efficiently regarding their medical care including quality of life decisions.
- Perform laboratory testing and basic interpretation: snap tests, CBC and chemistry panels, ear cytologies, urinalysis/fecal analysis, facilitate outside lab work, etc.
- Working knowledge of common drug dosages and interactions in conjunction with a sound mathematical knowledge in order to properly administer medications and fluids.
- Must be able to support and implement quarantine protocols though development of knowledge of local zoonotic disease, state laws and population management.
- Have a working knowledge of medical conditions, terminology, transcription and data entry.
- Deliver customized continuing education regarding puppies for caregivers and Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, as well as general puppy education for the public as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other responsibilities may include:
- Act as back-up to clinic techs to assist where needed. May include, laboratory, pharmacy, appointment and other technician duties.
- If puppy census is low, more clinic technician duties will be assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience working in a veterinary clinic/shelter medicine, prior experience as a veterinary technician, or relevant education and or certifications.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated confidence and ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (customer service) preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Experience with or ability to learn Microsoft Word and Excel, google calendar, docs and email and ADP.
- Able and willing to professionally advocate Best Friends and the Best Friends medical team position on issues.
- Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times.
- Must want to further professional learning by asking questions and doing research.
- Must have a valid driver's license and qualify for Best Friends insurance.
- Ability to lift and handle animals of varying sizes and species, bending, stooping, and walking on a daily basis.
- Must be able to perform strenuous manual labor. Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Must be able to work out of doors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to 100 degrees.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, hike, walk, kneel, and lift.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, Best Friends Wellness Center, and Flex Work Policy. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.