Not In Our Town (NIOT) is an Oakland, CA based non profit that serves a network of hundreds of schools and communities across the country who stand against bullying, hate and inequality and work to bridge differences and foster inclusion. NIOT was launched with a landmark PBS film and community engagement campaign that documented the inspiring efforts of Billings, Montana citizens who stood up and took action after their neighbors had been targeted in a series of hate crimes. For over 20 years, NIOT has supported local leaders across the U.S. in building safe, inclusive communities where everyone is encouraged to participate. Learn more at niot.org.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Administrative Assistant provides general administrative support to a close-knit team of three staff and six consultants, ensuring smooth and effective operations across the organization. The Administrative Assistant will work closely with staff to arrange meetings and events in addition to supporting other projects and institutional needs. This is a part-time (20 hours/week) position, based out of our downtown Oakland, CA office.
Essential job functions include maintaining office operations and procedures, supporting the administrative needs of senior leadership and staff, performing data entry, and maintaining databases.
- Assist the organization with fundraising, community engagement, and other events (on-site and out of the office); some evening events required
- Manage a complex and frequently changing organization-wide schedule and calendar with tact, sensitivity, and efficiency
- Coordinate general office operations, including but not limited to: maintaining an organized inventory of office supplies, mail distribution (internal and external), media sales fulfillment, and IT support
- Respond to general phone and email requests for information, ensuring communications are passed on to the appropriate staff member
- Assist with staff recruitment and onboarding, as needed
- Carry out basic data entry and update office records and documents on a regular basis
- Manage travel arrangements for senior leadership
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned
• At least two years of professional experience in a fast-paced, dynamic working environment
• Genuine interest in working in the nonprofit sector and a strong interest in NIOT’s mission
• Proactive, self-motivated, resourceful, adaptable, and creative in the planning process
• Able to manage multiple tasks and adjust quickly to changing priorities
• Possesses a friendly attitude, customer service mentality, intellectual curiosity and a good sense of humor
• Excellent independent judgment and decision-making skills
• Articulate; exceptional verbal and written communication
• Proficiency in office productivity technology and collaboration tools including Microsoft Office and Google Apps; experience utilizing CRM databases a plus
This position reports directly to the Executive Director. This is a part-time position totaling 20 hours/week, with benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a PDF resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “NIOT Admin Assistant” in the subject line. To help us better evaluate candidates, please explain why you feel you are a good fit for this position and share a past work-related accomplishment that demonstrates your problem-solving skills and/or ability to take initiative.
NIOT is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (510) 268-9675.