Details: The hourly rate for this seasonal, part-time, non-exempt position is $15 to $19 per hour and is commensurate with skills, experience, and certifications.
District of Columbia
Higher Achievement, a nationally acclaimed nonprofit organization working to close the achievement gap for motivated, yet underserved students from low-income communities, seeks candidates for the position of Center Aide for the 2018-2019 school year.
The Center Aide is a part-time seasonal position, working 6-14 hours per week, Monday through Thursday for the duration of Higher Achievement's Afterschool Academy from late September through early May. The specific schedule will be determined based on the needs of the center and will be relatively consistent, week-to-week. Center Aides attend a multi-day orientation and training preceding Afterschool Academy's start. Periodic trainings and professional development opportunities throughout the Academy will be required as well. This position involves direct work with scholars, administrative tasks, and weekly staff meetings.
Higher Achievement believes that talent is everywhere, but opportunity is not. We work to close the achievement gap for motivated - yet underserved - students from low-income communities. We intervene during the critical transition to middle school by providing year-round, multi-year support for students in the 5th – 8th grades. As students prepare to graduate from our program in the 8th grade, we help them transition successfully to advanced high school programs that keep students on track for college. On average, 95% of Higher Achievement scholars graduate high school on time.
Founded in 1975 in Washington, DC, as a grassroots effort to create learning opportunities for children in low-income neighborhoods, Higher Achievement has impacted the lives of more than 10,000 young people and currently operates Achievement Centers in Washington, DC, Alexandria, VA, Baltimore, MD, Pittsburgh, PA, and Richmond, VA. Higher Achievement’s award-winning model of rigorous academic mentoring, individualization of services, and comprehensive academic support is guided by leading research for effective out-of-school time programs. More information about Higher Achievement may be found at: http://www.higherachievement.org.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Review scholars' assignment notebooks upon their arrival; help them to prioritize daily assignments
- Ensure that homework is completed by all scholars to a high degree of quality. High-quality assignments are characterized by a high level of accuracy, an organized and clear presentation, and answers that indicate thinking beyond the surface level.
- With support from center staff, develop Scholar Achievement Plans (SAPs), targeted to improve scholars' academic performance
- Assist scholars in preparing for upcoming quizzes, tests, and projects and coach them to develop strong study skills
- Support volunteer homework helpers in their work with scholars
- Answer questions and re-teach necessary concepts to scholars to achieve mastery
- Provide supplemental work or other academic activities for scholars who complete their homework or who have been identified as needing additional help
- Reinforce Higher Achievement's philosophies and positive work culture
- Track scholar progress using the center's established tracking mechanisms
- Support center staff in completing administrative tasks including greeting and checking in scholars, setting up and serving dinner, data entry, phone calls, materials preparation, and ensuring that host site space is left clean and in good condition
- Supervise scholars during transitions and during center activities
- Communicate with families regarding their child’s progress during Higher Achievement
- Uphold and enforce Higher Achievement's culture of high expectations and positive learning environment
- Attend scheduled center staff meetings
- Design the activities to be included in Scholar Seminar, outlining objectives and activities on a monthly basis
- Be prepared with a daily plan to facilitate activities
- Communicate supply needs to center director in a timely manner
- Provide supervision and behavior management support to scholars during activities
- When possible and appropriate, incorporate students' ideas for activities into seminar or recess
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Commitment to the mission and work of Higher Achievement
- High school diploma or equivalent required; current college students encouraged to apply
- Experience with data entry and/or administrative tasks strongly preferred
- Experience working with youth required; experience working with middle school students strongly preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to communicate professionally and effectively with staff, scholars, and families
- Comfortable with technology
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
Higher Achievement Core Competencies: Higher Achievement values our core competencies, and as such, we expect that competitive applications will be able to demonstrate strengths in these areas:
- Relationship Building
- Candid Communications
- Pursuit of Excellence
- Growth Mindset
Compensation and Benefits: The hourly rate for this seasonal, part-time, non-exempt position is $15 to $19 per hour and is commensurate with skills, experience, and certifications. As a seasonal, part-time position, this role is not eligible for company benefits outside of those required by federal, state, or local laws.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: Work is regularly performed in a school setting. Employee may spend long periods of time sitting, standing, and walking. Must be able to walk from one part of the worksite to another and climb stairs. Employee regularly lifts, carries, and positions objects weighting up to 20 pounds. Position involves regular use of a computer and keyboard, telephone, and face-to-face communication in small and large group settings with youth and adults; employee must be able to communicate clearly and professionally in all of these situations. Employee must have visual, auditory, and physical ability to respond quickly to critical incidents involving students and act in an emergency situation.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Additional Information: The Center Aide works three to four days per week after 3:30 pm between Monday and Thursday, depending on the center assigned and scheduled hours.
This position requires a criminal background check prior to hire, and candidate must be able to pass all additional clearance requirements as mandated by school districts and state/local municipalities.
To Apply: Please submit your application through the link below. Priority consideration will be given to applicants who address the listed qualifications and their interest in the mission and work of Higher Achievement. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately; priority consideration will be given to all applicants who apply by August 1, but the position will remain open until all spots are filled. Please, no phone calls, emails or recruiters.
Higher Achievement provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver or family status, political affiliation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
As a seasonal, part-time position, this role is not eligible for company benefits outside of those required by federal, state, or local laws.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
Minimum Education Required