8305 Richmond Hwy
Good Shepherd Housing & Family Services seeks an experienced front-line fundraiser serving in the role of Major Gift Officer (MGO) to add to our growing development team. The new MGO will play an important role in supporting GSH’s strategic initiatives designed to be at the forefront of solving the growing housing affordability crisis in Fairfax County. By actively working to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a growing donor base and established prospect pipeline, the MGO’s efforts will support annual and capital campaign fundraising goals that will allow GSH to deliver our mission and increase our impact for families in need.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the MGO will work closely with GSH leadership to actively drive fundraising efforts with a focus on 4-, 5- and 6-figure gifts in support of the capital campaign and annual fund. The MGO will serve as the primary steward and solicitor of a portfolio of approximately 100-125 campaign prospects and current donors. The MGO must be an experienced fundraiser and self-directed team member who cultivates strong relationships with prospects to deepen engagement and increase support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Director of Development to refine and execute major gift strategies to ensure the successful outcome of the $2.5 million Campaign for Colchester.
- Oversee development and moves management of a portfolio of 100-125 individual, corporate and institutional donors through quality, strategic contacts and face-to-face visits to identify, cultivate, solicit, and successfully close 4-6 figure gifts
- Track annual campaign goals, and ensure strategies are in place to meet established cash and pledge goals
- Write briefings and proposals for prospect meetings; compile contact reports; and track donor activity within the donor database.
- Manage the Capital Campaign Committee, to include meeting planning and execution and overall committee strategy and support.
- Initiate and analyze prospect research with a working knowledge of moves management and portfolio management
- Manage all Capital Campaign special events, to include cultivation, fundraising and donor stewardship events. Develop and maintain a thorough and accurate understanding of GSH’s programs and funding priorities to effectively connect supporters to funding needs. Possess the ability to effectively communicate these priorities face to face with donors and in writing, and to successfully match donor’s philanthropic interests to funding needs.
- Attend donor and other events outside of normal business hours and join with other senior staff in hosting prospects and supporters.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- A minimum of five (5-7) years of Development experience and proven success in front-line fundraising.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices, specifically moves management, prospect research, and pipeline development.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
- Successful track record working with boards, donors, the public and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to achieve results in a team-oriented environment.
- Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Must be self-motivated and capable of working proactively.
- Proficiency with donor databases and Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Familiarity with Bloomerang and Donor Search a plus.
- Schedule flexibility and ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
- Experience in housing affordability and/or human services-related fundraising, is desirable.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with education/experience. GSH offers excellent benefits, including a 403B pension plan and a healthcare insurance plan. GSH is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please respond with a letter of interest, your resume and salary requirements via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. On all email submissions, please include “GSH Major Gifts Officer” in the subject line. Please do not call the office to inquire about the opportunity.