District of Columbia
The Finance & Operations Manager provides day-to-day management of finance and accounting, grants management, human resources, information technology and general business operations of 1,000 Days to ensure these functions are closely coordinated and operating effectively. The Manager, in addition to working across the 1,000 Days team, works closely with 1,000 Days’ Management Team to ensure that 1,000 Days operates efficiently and effectively as a high-performing, high-impact organization. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Managing Director.
Core responsibilities for the Finance & Operations Manager are broken out by function:
Finance & Accounting
- Oversee day-to-day financial activities such as purchasing, processing invoices, negotiating, and contracting with vendors
- Manage the overall accounting for 1,000 Days, serving as the point person with 1,000 Days’ external accounting firm and banking relationships
- Drive a bi-monthly Accounts Payable process and track and follow up on Accounts Receivable
- Provide monthly financial reporting and analysis to the Management Team, including tracking and analyzing 1,000 Days’ budget and expenses, as well as forecasting
- Coordinate with outsourced accountants on annual 990 filing and ensure it accurately reflects the organization’s position
- Coordinate 1,000 Days’ annual financial audit, serving as the principal point of contact for the accounting and audit firms
- Provide administrative management of 1,000 Days’ vendors and consultants, including obtaining and tracking contracts, amendments, W9 forms and invoices
- Oversee the tracking of grant payments and reporting requirements, as well as managing any sub-grants 1,000 Days makes
- Collaborate with the Management Team to develop grant proposal budgets and provide financial or organizational information as needed in the grant writing process
- Oversee expense tracking of existing grants and provide grant burn forecasts
- Maintain grant records
- Serve as 1,000 Days’ point of contact for its employees and brokers for all matters related to payroll and benefits, including tracking employee benefits, payroll deductions and paid time off, and supporting staff in adjusting their benefit elections
- Manage bi-monthly payroll process, ensuring accuracy of all deductions
- Lead the process of reviewing current benefits and policies, gathering and reviewing new proposals and making a recommendation to the Management Team prior to open enrollment; ultimately guide the 1,000 Days staff through the open-enrollment process
- Support the Management Team in reviewing and updating 1,000 Days’ staff policies as needed
- Develop and maintain human resource systems (i.e. PTO tracking, benefit election change requests, etc.)
- Assist the Management Team with the annual review and mid-year review preparation and administration
- Provide support to hiring managers in employee/fellow/intern recruitment, selection including screening resumes, conducting interviews and/or reference checks as needed, extending offers, and on-boarding new hires, including work station set up, computer procurement, digital profile creation, competition of I-9s, W4s and other relevant employment tax paperwork, and employee benefit enrollment
- Manage off-boarding process for staff that leave 1,000 Days, including leading exit interviews and ensuring the employee is removed from 1,000 Days’ benefits, payroll, digital profiles and other key accounts
- Maintain employee personnel folders
- Manage relationship with outsourced IT support firm and oversee compliance with IT policies
- Develop and maintain annual operations calendar for 1,000 Days that includes AP, AR, key grant cycle dates, payroll, insurance renewals, employee benefit renewals, and other key dates to the organization’s business operations
- Manage day-to-day operations of the 1,000 Days office and team, serving as the point-person for office services and maintenance and performing general office duties, such as ordering supplies, managing phones, etc.
- Ensure 1,000 Days is up to date with its general business insurance, worker’s compensation policy, Directors and Officers etc.
- Maintain confidentiality of frequently sensitive information
- A flexible, creative, entrepreneurial spirit.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills – both highly professional and customer-friendly.
- Excellent computation and basic accounting skills.
- Proven ability to work with confidential, sensitive information.
- Highly organized with strong project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects and competing deadlines.
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team; to multi-task, set priorities, adapt to change, and solve problems in a dynamic, high-performing work environment.
- Experience working with diverse constituents, vendors, teams, colleagues and personalities.
- Passion for both people and processes.
- Highly motivated, self-starter with an energetic, entrepreneurial attitude
- Highly adept in using Microsoft Office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalence) in a relevant field of study such as Finance and Accounting.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in nonprofit management, finance and accounting, HR, operations, etc.
Success in this role requires an ability to balance multiple projects, shift priorities to meet tight deadlines, and complete tasks efficiently and with accuracy. The ability to adapt to changing circumstances and to pitch in for the good of the team is critical to success in the role. Overall, this position requires an individual who is customer-service oriented, whether working internally with the 1,000 Days staff or externally with 1,000 Days’ vendors.
1,000 Days is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- Put “Finance and Operations Manager” in the subject line
- Due to the expected volume of interest, only candidates considered will be contacted – No phone calls please