Senior Communications Associate, Internal, Traditional & Special Events
- Job posted by Volunteers of America - Greater New York
West 50th Street
About Volunteers of America-Greater New York
Volunteers of America, Inc. (VOA) is a national human services organization whose services impact the lives of 1.4 million people in need every year. Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-GNY) is the largest affiliate of the national organization, with more than 1,300 employees in 80+ programs throughout New York City, Northern New Jersey, and Westchester County that provide life-changing, often life saving services to more than 35,000 men, women, and children annually.
Our services extend to a wide range of people in need including veterans, families who are homeless or escaping domestic violence, children with developmental delays, youth aging out of foster care, older adults, and individuals living with HIV/AIDS, behavioral health issues, and substance use disorders. VOA-GNY is the largest provider of permanent, supportive housing for veterans in New York. In response to New York City’s affordable housing crisis, VOA-GNY is building permanent, supportive housing to help address the needs of the local community.
Skilled and dedicated staff, with support from caring volunteers and generous corporate, individual, and other community partners, play an important role in empowering tens of thousands of men, women, and children in need, to overcome obstacles to living safe, healthy, productive lives in the community.
In collaboration with the Associate Director of Communications and others in the Communications Department, provide editorial, project management, and outreach support to enhance internal and external communication.
This position acts as lead communications liaison to internal program staff at VOA-GNY, responding to their communications needs and working to develop passionate and knowledgeable brand ambassadors among our employees. External communications efforts include drafting, copy editing, and assisting with the production of print and digital marketing collateral like the annual report, The Partner Post, and flyers announcing internal events. This position also assists with the production, planning, and execution of special events.
Principle Responsibilities of the Senior Communications Associate-Internal, Traditional & Special Events:
- Solicit material, write, and produce the employee e-newsletter, The Insider, monthly. Gather stories of success and human interest about the organization’s clients, staff, volunteers and supporters so that readers feel proud to be associated with the organization and feel appreciated. Assist in production of other internal communications materials.
- Serve as communications liaison to internal staff across the organization, responding to program needs for marketing collateral including fact sheets, brochures, signage, promotional items, and event collateral; revise existing collateral and write new copy for e-blasts, e-newsletters and other materials that is compelling and extends a call to action. Work with external vendors to obtain quotes for print and premium items, following up to ensure artwork is submitted, production is on-time, and delivery of product is received.
- Play a key role in organizing ribbon cuttings, groundbreakings and open houses, working closely with program staff and other communications staff to ensure all details of event are considered and addressed. Attend program events to take high-quality photos, support event-related needs, and gather success stories for use in Development and Communications outreach. Ensure program staff has current printed collateral and signage.
- Assist with pre- and day-of logistics for events; prepare post-event recaps for future marketing outreach.
Experience and Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree with five years relevant experience.
- Provide a variety of writing samples that demonstrate superior written communications skills including samples of e-blasts and, preferably, e-newsletters .
- Able to work independently and deliver product on time, writing copy that is correct content-wise, requires little editing, and captures the voice of VOA-GNY.
- Experience researching, organizing, and presenting information with meticulous attention to detail.
- Highly organized, efficient, able to manage and prioritize multiple assignments.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint. Experience using Wordpress, Constant Contact, InDesign and Photoshop preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact collaboratively with staff across the organization as well as with volunteers.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and salary requirement to Julie Benns at firstname.lastname@example.org; include in the subject line – Senior Communications Associate, Internal.