Details: excellent benefits package
330 Twin Dolphin Drive, Suite 123
Redwood City, CA
Organization: Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County (www.legalaidsmc.org) is a non-profit law firm that has been providing free legal services to low-income and vulnerable populations in San Mateo County since 1959. Our mission is to fight social injustice through civil legal advocacy for people living in poverty. We strive to empower people to overcome the causes and effects of poverty so they can participate in their community with dignity and respect. Our staff assists clients with legal issues and engages in impactful advocacy related to government benefits, housing, domestic violence, health care, elder law, special education access, and disability rights.
Legal Aid of San Mateo County offers a supportive and collegial work environment, excellent benefits package, and opportunities for professional development and training.
Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Directing Attorney, the Project Coordinator:
1. Client services: Conducts client intake interviews related to housing and evictions, and prepares letters and basic pleadings at weekly tenant clinics at various locations around San Mateo County.
2. Client telephone screening, scheduling, and follow up: Screens individuals who call Legal Aid with diverse legal problems; provides general information on evictions and housing issues; schedules appointments or provides appropriate referrals; enters data on case-related activities; and follows up with clients by telephone and email.
3. Database entry and reports: Maintains a confidential client database, collecting, entering and coding case information in the database, and generating client follow-up data reports.
4. Administrative Support: Prepares client files and assists staff attorneys with administrative tasks, including file and document management, correspondence, and interpretation/translations for Spanish-speaking clients.
Required Qualifications: We are looking for a motivated and organized individual who is dedicated to advocating for a diverse, low-income client population. The right candidate is someone who can prioritize multiple demands and execute tasks efficiently in a fast-paced work environment, demonstrates excellent customer service skills, works well on a team in a collaborative environment, and is committed to social justice. Other requirements include:
· Spanish fluency (oral and written)
· B.A. degree or equivalent experience that demonstrates ability to learn and navigate systems
· Excellent writing and communication skills
· Working knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
· Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work autonomously
· Experience in legal services or law office environment
· Direct service experience with individuals
The Legal Aid Society is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults and members of the LGBT community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish fluency (oral and written)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Submit: 1) a cover letter explaining your interest and how you meet the required job qualifications, 2) your resume, and 3) a writing sample, to Shirley Gibson, Directing Attorney. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax: (650) 517-8973