Marina del Rey
In addition to securing our clients’ freedom, our Bail Disruptors are positioned to collect a wealth of data on pre-trial demographics, client case outcomes and bail practices across the U.S. This data has massive potential to drive legislative reform on both the state and federal levels.
The Senior Research Associate will work alongside our senior leadership team and network of bail disruptors to create a strategy for our research and data, as well as oversee and drive external impact evaluation. As our first staff person dedicated to research and evaluation, they will help to shape our foundational data infrastructure as well as take a leadership role in coordinating our first intensive external evaluation on the impact of bail.
- Define key research questions, critical metrics and data to collect in collaboration with stakeholders such as internal staff, policy research partners, academic institutions, local advocacy organizations, funders and the the general public
- Review and refine existing data sources, reform current processes and assumptions, and drive collection of new data
- Support development and management of data infrastructure across existing 6 sites, check data for quality, and work with bail disruptors to improve data collection processes
- Work with consultants and staff to build data infrastructure and practices for new sites
- Define a strategy for analyzing, publishing and sharing data to drive local and national systemic change
- Serve as TBP’s organizational lead for the planning phase of a rigorous multi-site research study on the impact of bail (Aug 2018-Jan 2019)
- Meet weekly with external research firm to advise and track progress on all aspects of the planning phase
- Manage overall project timelines and deliverables
- Gather and communicate feedback from TBP staff including CEO, General Counsel, Chief of Staff, Director and Assistant Director of Operations and Bail Disruptors
- Lead process with operations teams and sites to select three sites for feasibility analysis
- Coordinate and attend three site visits
- Support and review drafts for a final proposal for an impact study
- Following planning phase, act as the point of contact and project lead for overseeing the execution of the research study (contingent on funding for the full proposal)
You are driven, highly organized, and have a deep commitment to The Bail Project’s mission to eliminate race and wealth-based disparities in our criminal justice system. Applicants must be willing to work independently as well as in collaborative teams. A sense of humor, innovative spirit, and willingness to adapt to the change inherent to a rapidly scaling start-up are essential.
To excel in this role, you likely bring the following:
- Minimum of three years of related experience conducting evaluation, research, impact measurement and/or data projects
- Familiarity with research design and impact evaluation methods, including survey design, sampling strategies, sourcing and analyzing administrative data, and running randomized control trials
- Experience managing an impact evaluation study end-t0-end at an academic or research institution, including engaging and coordinating multiple stakeholders
- Proficiency in manipulating and analyzing complex data from varying sources; coursework in econometrics or statistical modeling and/or proficiency with SAS, STATA, or other statistical software
- Ability to use data visualization tools such as Tableau, Excel or Stata to present data clearly to non-technical audiences
- Experience with data sourcing, data quality and training field staff in data entry; experience using Salesforce CRM systems a plus
- Demonstrated interest and experience in racial and social justice or criminal defense; experience working on research and/or analyzing administrative data in the criminal justice context a plus
- Self-motivated, flexible, and hard-working
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple projects
- Strong decision-making and communication skills
This is a full-time exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience. The Bail Project offers competitive health benefits, dental and vision plans, flexible PTO, life insurance and enrollment into 401k program.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and a sample of work related to a research project you’ve managed to email@example.com by Friday July 20th, 2018 with "Senior Research Associate ” in the subject line. Applicants will be notified regarding whether or not they have been selected for an interview.
The Bail Project is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of people of color, women, and formerly incarcerated individuals. We are committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff.