Full Time Contract
Essie Justice Group seeks a program professional to develop and oversee the implementation of values-aligned, quality programming for children with incarcerated parents and caregivers. At Essie, we reduce barriers so that women with incarcerated loved ones can lead. This includes providing high-quality childcare for children in the care of Essie cohort participants at sessions of our 9 week Healing to Advocacy model. The Childcare Program Specialist will develop and implement a cohesive programming, training, and delivery model for childcare at Healing to Advocacy cohorts.
Since our founding, Essie has launched 10 groups of women with incarcerated loved ones using our signature community organizing model across the Bay Area and in Los Angeles. Our model focuses on three pillars: Advocating for Self, Advocating for Family, and Advocating for Community, resulting in an increase in mental wellness, resources, and civic engagement for program graduates. At every session of a Healing to Advocacy cohort, childcare is provided.
In 2017, childcare was successfully provided at all cohort sessions. In 2018, our goal is to further develop and implement a companion childcare program with a network of trained, qualified providers. Led by the Childcare Program Specialist, Essie will be able to provide streamlined, values-aligned, and quality childcare at every cohort session in 2018.
- Complete 9-week companion program for children with incarcerated family members that parallels Essie’s Healing to Advocacy model.
- Comprehensive, replicable training for childcare providers who will implement the program at cohort sessions.
- Network of skilled, responsible, and values-aligned childcare providers to support cohort sessions across the Bay Area.
- Childcare provider placement and ongoing on-call support of cohorts to ensure full staffing of childcare team.
- 5+ years of relevant experience developing youth or children’s programming.
- Experience training or developing the skills of others.
- Highly developed skills in project management; experience producing client-ready materials.
- A strong commitment to the mission, goals, and philosophy of Essie, and a demonstrated alignment with anti-mass incarceration, race justice, and gender justice causes.
- Anticipates needs and takes initiative to address them. Persists despite obstacles.
- Outcome oriented, critical and creative thinker.
- Positive approach, can-do attitude, and a sense of humor.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
This position is based at the Essie offices in Oakland, California. This is not a remote position. Please address a thoughtful cover letter to the “Essie Hiring Committee” and submit along with a resume with “Childcare Program Specialist – Your Name” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.