Employer: Global G.L.O.W.
Classification: Exempt-Full Time
Location: Southern California
Supervisor: Global G.L.O.W. Executive Director and HerStory Director
Global G.L.O.W. Communications Manager
Global G.L.O.W. seeks a Communications Manager to lead and manage the organization's communications, amplifying the mission and impact of its work with girls around the world, including the HerStory Campaign and Healthy G.L.O.W. The Communications Manager will work closely with Global G.L.O.W.’s Programming, Development and Leadership Teams to share and grow Global G.L.O.W.’s messaging and work, leveraging girls’ own stories and experiences to promote advocacy and build community, within a culture of innovation and sustainability.
All Global G.L.O.W. staff members must work well both cooperatively and independently, and thrive in a close-knit, innovative, idea-driven work environment. The community Global G.L.O.W. serves is diverse and includes many different cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, ethnicities, and education levels. The Communications Manager must be able to cultivate relationships across this community, fostering lasting relationships with colleagues, consultants, partners and supporters.
Success in this role requires excellent attention to detail and project management skills, strong strategic thinking skills, exceptional written and verbal communication, the ability to create and grow meaningful relationships, to work collaboratively and independently and to lead through the lens of mentorship in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and joyful environment. The Communications Manager must also be fully committed to Global G.L.O.W.’s mission and able to effectively articulate the its programs, vision and culture.
Strategy & Management:
- Develop comprehensive annual and longer-term, strategic communications plan for Global G.L.O.W. and tactically implement the plan with support from and in collaboration with internal team members and Global G.L.O.W.’s agency partner
- Develop, track and monitor the communications budget, including internal and agency expenses
- Co-supervise one direct report and the creative team
- Develop and maintain a content management system for elevating content from the field (from 27 countries) and archiving content for future usage that allows for collaboration across programming, development and leadership teams
- Manage the Global G.L.O.W. communications calendar including social media calendars and earned media outreach calendar
Social Media, Website & Email Communication:
- Manage the daily sharing of stories, images and videos from the field to further Global G.L.O.W.’s mission and to advocate for Global G.L.O.W.’s work
- Supervise an external consultant to manage the Global G.L.O.W. and HerStory websites, including developing and publishing content and a website refresh
- Oversee the development and execution of the social media content calendar and community management for social channels
- Serve as a steward of the Global G.L.O.W. brand, ensuring consistent branding and messaging across all printed and online materials for internal or external use as well as the ad hoc evolution of any messaging and/or branding materials
- Create and send Global G.L.O.W. email communications
Public Education, Advocacy & Marketing:
- Provide day to day management for Global G.L.O.W.’s PR agency, including collaborating with the agency on the creation of media materials such as press releases, executive bios, media alerts and other various materials
- Develop and grow relationships with key communications partners, corporate sponsors, online ambassadors and allies
- Support Global G.L.O.W.’s PR agency to proactively pitch relevant earned media contacts building a bench of local and national friendlies and social influencers for the organization
- Manage the development of videos, social media content and photography at special events and select field visits to generate public awareness for Global G.L.O.W.
Writing & Design:
- Oversee and lead the strategy, design, writing and production of Global G.L.O.W. collateral materials including brochures, handouts, annual reports, partnership presentations and misc. marketing materials
- Oversee the maintenance and growth of Global G.L.O.W.’s research archives for use in written communications and presentations
- Support staff projects with copy and content editing
- Support with virtual fundraising and event marketing
- Support grant writing and reporting as needed
- Support event promotion and donor cultivation as needed
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English to communicate and understand ideas and information
- Must be able to create and comprehend high-level communications strategies and communicate them to others
- Must have the ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense
- Must be able to maintain problem sensitivity, or to understand when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong and recognize when there is a problem
- $300 monthly contribution to individual medical plan (option Dental/Vision cover by employee)
- Competitive salary
- Flexible full time work schedule that allows for work/ life balance
- Accrual of 10 Vacation Days
- Accrual of 7 sick days per year
- 8 company holidays
- 401(k) plan
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master's Degree in an applicable field a plus
- 3-5 years of marketing and/or communications experience in-house or agency required
- A self starter who can initiate and manage multiple, concurrent projects from start to finish
- A strategic thinker that can implement tactically
- Articulate leader with the ability to create and implement innovative programs and strategies to educate, motivate, inform and inspire donors and others to meet the organization's funding needs
- Demonstrated understanding of the media landscape including fluency in social media, earned media and traditional marketing channels
- Experience in successfully communicating the mission, vision, values and compelling cases to multiple audiences, one-on-one and through formal proposals, correspondence and presentations
- Advanced project management skills including exceptional organization with thoughtful, sensitive attention to detail and follow-through on projects
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills as a creative, out-of-the-box strategic thinker and problem solver
- Flexibility to engage with multiple tasks and relationships, prioritize projects and not get overwhelmed
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, from an informal email to a grant proposal to a social media post
- Comfort with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Photoshop suite
- Experience with MailChimp, Squarespace, Google Drive, Asana a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following structure:
- Subject: Communications Manager – First Name Last Name
- Body of Email: Include name, contact information, salary requirements
- Attach: Cover letter, resume and references saved as First Name Last Name Cover Letter; First Name Last Name Resume; First Name Last Name References
- Within your cover letter please respond to this prompt: What experiences or ideas do you have about how a strong organizational voice or identity can best generate engagement and action?
- In your references document please provide information for two professional and one personal reference (not related to you): Name; Relationship to you; Phone number; Email address.
Only complete applications will be considered. They will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applications received, not all applicants will be contacted.