Brooklyn Heights Montessori School offers a challenging and comprehensive curriculum built on the philosophy of Maria Montessori to children aged two years through eighth grade. Students work and learn in mixed-age classes led by teaching teams of thoughtful and well-trained professionals. The students have exposure to a full range of academic and artistic courses. BHMS also offers an after school program and a summer day camp. The School is housed in a beautiful facility in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn and is ideally located for convenient access to all parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School is an equal opportunity employer seeking candidates who will embrace the tenets of Montessori Education, including the principles of community, educational and professional excellence, social justice, and equity.
Brief Description: The Director of Facilities Management supervises physical plant operations including all buildings and grounds, utilities, energy management systems and safety/security systems in order to provide a safe, healthy, and comfortable environment for students, faculty and staff. The individual in this position is responsible for the scheduling and supervision of maintenance and repair activities, contracted services, and custodial services, and ensuring the physical operation of the school meets budgetary and strategic objectives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs, supervises, and evaluates department staff; ensures staff receives training related to specific job tasks and responsibilities.
- Directs, schedules, and oversees all external contractors (electricians, plumbers, excavators, roofers, painters, landscapers, etc.)
- Schedules and supervises maintenance workers engaged in building and grounds upkeep and repair; responsible for employee (faculty/staff/student) safety, electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and ventilation services
- Develops and monitors department budget; orders equipment and supplies and monitors inventory; makes requests for capital outlay expenditures as needed. Will provide regular updates and reports as required for administration and the Buildings & Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Develops, implements, and supervises preventative maintenance and renovation programs for buildings, grounds, mechanical and electrical, utility, and safety and security systems.
- Supervises custodial contract for the complete cleaning of the school.
- Responsible for facility safety and meeting physical ADA compliance standards, works closely with staff and city/state officials to meet schools requirements for compliance with all local laws and ordinances. Will interface with FDNY and NYCDOB for all related fire-safety and building related issues. Must have or be able to attain Certificates of Fitness: S-95; S-12; S-13 from FDNY Testing Center.
- Prepares specifications for physical plant projects; estimates costs of equipment, materials, labor, and supplies; prepares bid specifications for projects, equipment, and contracted services; oversees site and building projects performed by outside contractors.
- Develops specifications for cost-effective campus energy management systems; supervises the operations, maintenance and repair of such systems.
- Ensures the proper disposal of hazardous and controlled wastes in compliance with regulations and guidelines; works directly with outside agencies such as NYC-DEP, OSHA, FDNY, and other local and state health departments and AHJs as required.
- Evaluates the need for and arranges physical plant training sessions (bloodborne pathogens, OSHA, MSDS, and other job-related training).
- Contributes to strategic planning by evaluating and projecting future facility needs and proposing options to achieve them.
- Performs other related tasks as requested by the Director of Finance and Operations, the Director of Risk Management and/or the Head of School.
Works under the general supervision of the Director of Finance and Operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, building trades, or related field, and;
- Five or more years of progressively more responsible experience in physical plant maintenance, with three or more years of supervisory experience, or; combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of this position
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with school faculty, staff, administrators and members of the Board of Trustees
- Experience in operational and strategic planning as well as budget development
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and information in written and oral format to administrative staff, professional colleagues, and members of the Board of Trustees