Details: Commensurate with experience.
Futurewise is the only statewide environmental non-profit in Washington dedicated to ensuring that state and local governments manage population growth responsibly. Founded in 1990, Futurewise (formerly 1000 Friends of Washington) has established an impressive track record in growth management issues as the state’s primary advocate for smart growth policies.
The goal of Futurewise is to protect the future of Washington for all of its citizens by ensuring that growth happens in a way that is beneficial to everyone. Futurewise is working on several ambitious efforts to ensure that Washington and its communities are making sound decisions to address growth and development in a proactive, equitable manner. See our website, www.futurewise.org, for more information.
Futurewise is seeking a part-time Organizing and Outreach Manager with strong communication and interpersonal skills to educate and engage the public and elected officials on strengthening our urban community in Tacoma around affordable housing, transportation and green infrastructure. The successful applicant will be based in and spend most of their 20-hour work week in Tacoma, although travel to Seattle is anticipated several times per year. This is a one-year position with the potential for expansion or extension if additional funding becomes available.
Position Details: The Organizing and Outreach Manager position requires the ability to work one-on-one with a wide range of community members to develop and implement community education events and activities, and work with partner organizations, local government, and decision makers on urban planning and policy issues. We are seeking an individual with strong community organizing, analytical, decision-making, creative, interpersonal, and communication (written, verbal, visual) skills. Qualified applicants must be able to communicate effectively with diverse groups; have a passion for issues such as equitable transit oriented development and green infrastructure; have the ability to balance and prioritize multiple responsibilities; and, be available for night and weekend meetings.
The selected candidate is expected to work from home, or from a co-working space. Futurewise will provide a laptop computer, access to IT support, and reimbursement of phone, internet and office supply expenses.
- Assess community conditions to inform education and outreach opportunities, as well as civic policy opportunities;
- Initiate and develop relationships and partnerships with local community members and organizations;
- Organize meetings and work with local community-based organization partners to plan outreach activities and events;
- Turn out community members and partner organizations to activities, events, and meetings;
- Assist a diverse group of partners and stakeholders in reaching consensus on strategies for various policy issues;
- Conduct and oversee the research, design, and development of strategies;
- Conduct group and one-on-one education and outreach activities;
- Design and implement engaging communication and educational tools (such as presentations, displays);
- Measure and track progress to determine success of efforts and strategies;
- Design and maintain outreach materials for campaign communications purposes;
- Maintain a consistent and engaging presence with community constituents using an appropriate mix of frequent social media posts, email updates, phone calls and/or in-person meetings; and,
- Work with members of the news media, including print, radio, television, and new media, to generate earned media on affordable housing, transportation and other land use policy in Tacoma.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
• One or more years of experience in community organizing or a closely related field, specifically including education and outreach to community members and community groups;
• The ability to write well at a level that will be understood by the general public;
• Experience leading or co-leading a program or project to completion;
• Experience working on a small team or independently as well as working with partners;
• Experience with designing community outreach and education material for social media;
• Demonstrated history of entrepreneurial work ethic; and,
• Advanced education in urban or regional planning or similar field (preferred, but not required).
Benefits include vacation, sick leave and holidays, and a paid regional transit pass. Futurewise will provide a laptop computer, access to IT support, and reimbursement of phone, internet and office supply expenses. Salary is expected to be between $16-19K, commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
English, including an ability to write well at a level that will be understood by the general public.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Position is open until filled; first consideration will be given to applications received by April 27, 2018. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and at least three references, all in PDF format, to email@example.com. Please make the subject of your email “(Last Name) – Tacoma” and address the cover letter to Hiring Manager. Please label any submitted materials, including the cover letter, resume, and references with your last name. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Futurewise is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in all areas of its operations. We are committed to equal opportunity in employment and promotion for all qualified persons without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, military or veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, pregnancy and childbirth, family responsibilities, or any other basis protected by applicable laws, regulations, or guidelines relating to discrimination in employment.