Details: The position is full-time. Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from $60,000-65,000 plus benefits.
900 E. Howell Street
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
The Oxford Circle Christian Community Development Association (OCCCDA) is located in the Oxford Circle neighborhood of Philadelphia, PA and covers a service area of 10 census tracts within the boundaries of Summerdale Avenue, Oxford Avenue, Cottman Avenue, and Roosevelt Boulevard. The neighborhood is rich in diversity with over 20 languages represented at the local elementary school and over 30% of the population being “foreign born.” It is a young neighborhood with 41% of the population under the age of 21. Its residential population and business community are growing, despite a $10,000 drop annually in median household income since 2000.
The organization grew out of a local congregation, Oxford Circle Mennonite Church, asking how they could meet the growing needs of their community. OCCCDA was incorporated in 2005 and started year round services in 2008 with a $25,000 start-up grant from the US DHHS. Today, OCCCDA has an annual budget of $1,000,000 and has closed in the black since incorporation. In 2009, the organization purchased a 40,000 sq. foot facility of which 3/4 of the space is occupied by commercial tenants who share the goal of serving our community. OCCCDA has continued to expand its programming which now includes a K-5 afterschool program and summer camp, a family resource center, weekly adult instruction in GED and ELL, emergency food assistance, child care on-site managed by Kinder Academy, business corridor support and outreach, and 3 annual community events. This summer, OCCCDA opened the doors of its newest venture, The Exchange at Oxford Circle, which includes a thrift store and community and economic development services.
In service to the community, the mission of OCCCDA is “to extend healing and hope in the Oxford Circle community, believing that God’s purpose of reconciling all people to Jesus leads us to minister on spiritual, physical, social & economic levels.” Our organizational goals are to 1) develop and support a comprehensive, quality learning community, 2) nurture family stability and reconciliation, 3) provide sustainable community and economic development, and 4) leverage the use of our assets to serve our community.
OCCCDA is seeking an Executive Director who will maintain our excellent reputation as community partner and advocate for high quality service provision. The Executive Director is responsible for Strategic Planning and Governance; Fund and Donor Development; Organizational Operations; and Financial Management, including compliance with external contracts.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategic Planning, Governance & Implementation of Mission (15%)
- Annual review and monitoring OCCDDA’s implementation of its strategic plan
- Align OCCCDA’s existing programs, staffing, property management and community outreach and develop new programming to fulfill the strategic plan
Governance & Implementation of Mission:
- Maintain accountability to the mission of OCCCDA as defined by the Board and existing by-laws, through bi-monthly meetings with the Board
- Practice effective, timely, accurate, and transparent communication with Board members as necessary for the Board to make informed decisions, recruit board members
- Maintain relational partnership with Oxford Circle Mennonite Church through regular communication with its Pastor(s) and participation in bi-monthly leadership meetings
- Effectively engage the Board in strategic planning, policy decisions and fundraising through committee meetings, community and donor events
Fund, Donor & Community Partnership Development (30%)
- Develop resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Actively seek and maintain relations with private and public funders
- Responsible to maintain and acquire grant and other funding to maintain and expand strategic program provision
- Cultivation of donor giving and stewardship, including planned giving, major gifts and both capital and operating campaign experience
- Oversee marketing efforts
- Maintain regular communications with donors via print and in-person contact
Community Partnership Development:
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with various stakeholders throughout the community, including city, state and federal government, business, and school partnerships
- Maintain and enhance OCCCDA visibility through active participation in professional, civic and private organizations
- Serve as Oxford Circle CCDA’s spokesperson to organization constituents, media, donors and general public to strategically implement Oxford Circle CCDA mission
Organizational Operations & Leadership Development (30%)
- Establish and implement administrative policies and procedures for all staff positions and for day-to-day operation of the organizations’ 20-plus full or part time staff and volunteers
- Supervise existing and/or establish new programs and staffing to carry out required grant stipulations
- Oversee administration of Oxford Circle CCDA property in coordination with Oxford Circle Mennonite Church
- Represent Oxford Circle CCDA on agreements, notes, and other legally binding documents made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
Organizational Leadership Development
- Hiring and retain competent, qualified staff
- Motivate and develop staff to ensure high-quality service provision
- Evaluate staff and effectiveness of program provision
Financial Management (25%)
- Prepare annual general and property budgets
- Prepare and oversee year-end report and external audit
- Prepare and submit to the Board proposed annual budget, monthly financial statements, and other documentation which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization
- Operate within the approved budget and ensure maximum resource utilization and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position
- Review and approve contracts and grants to ensure contract and budget compliance for organization
Qualities & Commitments
- A commitment to the Oxford Circle community and the holistic mission of OCCCDA
- Servant leadership characterized by integrity and transparency
- Membership in Christian congregation
- Christ-centered values in programming and governance decisions
Required Knowledge, Skills/Abilities & Experience and *Preferred
- Master’s degree in nonprofit management or related field with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in senior nonprofit management. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated track record of working effectively with a Board of Directors
- Ability to convey Oxford Circle CCDA’s vision and mission to staff, Board, volunteers, and donors
- Proven experience engaging diverse stakeholder constituencies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven organizational abilities in planning and program development
- Experience supervising direct reports and managing 5 or more staff
- Extensive budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Knowledge of fund- and donor-development practices specific to the non-profit sector
- *Experience with public and private donor and funder network in the Philadelphia region a plus
Minimum Education Required