1121 14 Avenue Southwest
Light Up The World (LUTW) is a Calgary based charity focused on access to energy. Many people living in rural villages are living in poverty and when the sun sets, people have to find other ways to light their homes so they can cook, study and work. Sustainable energy and clean light at the flick of a switch can help families save money, live in a safer and healthier home environment, and expand opportunities for education and economic development.
Since 1997, LUTW has brought electricity to thousands of remote and underserved homes, schools, and community buildings in more than 50 countries. Currently LUTW’s work is focused primarily in Peru and in 2017 we launched a social enterprise to reach more people living off-the-grid.
About the position:
LUTW is looking a Communications Coordinator to join our team in Calgary. As our Communications Coordinator, you will lead the team in raising public awareness of our organization through online and offline channels, conveying our work in a way that engages audiences and inspires action.
You listen to understand, and when you speak/write, you are understood. You know how to turn knowledge into exciting and useful messages and distribute them to the right audiences.
This job might be for you if you have:
- A minimum of 2-3 years of communications experience – creating and implementing strategies and developing online content. A bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, English, or Journalism is preferred
- You are confident with the office suite, website content management, email marketing and social media networks. Familiarity with programs like Adobe, InDesign, Wordpress, Constant Contact are a plus
- You have the ability to collaborate with several teams at once, and you have no problem managing multiple initiatives simultaneously
- You have the ability to lead volunteers, staff and board members with energy and maturity.
Part-time, approximately 15-20 hours per week
Activities and Deliverables:
- Work with senior staff in aligning fund development strategies with compelling communications
- Oversee content production and maintenance of the website
- Write and publish quarterly email newsletter content
- Advise on ways to improve or update public image and outreach
- Maintain our organization’s social media accounts, including content creation and curation while increasing engagement through individual interaction
- Design and improve promotional materials
- Revise organization-wide communications plan to strengthen our identity across all networks and
- Prepare short-term and long-term communication budgets
- Set and hit communications goals such as increased public awareness, media impressions, email list size, etc.
- Identify and develop relationships with media personnel, community partners and agencies to promote our services and events. Serves as point of contact for media inquiries.
- Assist with other external and internal communications duties as needed
This opportunity offers competitive remuneration and a chance to work with a growing international development organization and contribute to sustainable development both locally and internationally.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit clear, engaging, and grammatically correct content in English.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume, pay expectation, and an example of your communications work (news article, blog post, or similar content) by May 10th, 2018. Thank you for your interest!