The Criminal Defense Practice has an opening for a full time Paralegal II to provide client services in the Queens County office.
* Research, digest, and outline case records (e.g. medical, criminal history, schools, etc.)
* Draft legal memoranda, pre-trial motions, subpoenas, and orders to produce
* Interview and assess client requests for services
* Second seat trials
* Assist with case preparation for trial and disposition
* Prepare written reports summarizing compiled information
* Obtain and copy court files
* Serve subpoenas and other legal documents
* Assemble court files and materials for trials, appeals, stays, and writs
* Obtain and review client records and determine course of action
* Handle client and agency correspondence in connection with cases
* Serve as a liaison between attorneys and clients
* Assist clients in completing forms, releases, and other documents
* Refer clients to outside agencies
* Handle basic correspondence with clients
* Other duties as assigned
* Perform functions of Paralegal I title, unrelated to the Paralegal II title, as necessary and on a temporary basis
Queens - Criminal Defense Practice Office
* Paralegal certificate from an ABA accredited school, Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, or satisfactory completion of a comprehensive in-house training course appropriate to practice area
* Experience in and/or commitment to advocacy on behalf of low-income people is strongly desired
* Excellent writing, verbal, and organizational skills
* Proficiency in legal research
* Proficiency in computer and word processing skills
* Ability to work independently and in a team setting
* Ability to multi-task
* Some knowledge of New York criminal law and criminal procedures
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email email@example.com.
Minimum Education Required