Details: Dependent on experience; Must be willing to accept salary within this range.
Deputy Director, Finance and Operations
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Executive Director
This position is full-time with a competitive benefits package.
Encounter’s Deputy Director, Finance and Operations (DDFO) is a key member of the senior team and responsible for the efficiency of the organization, ensuring the smooth management of all internal functions: finance and operations, development administration, personnel and human resource compliance, professional growth initiatives, and team building. The DDFO will partner with the ED will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the operational aspects of the annual budget of $1.8 million and growing.
The goal of the DDFO position is to secure the functionality of “business” to drive sustainable growth towards greater actualization of Encounter’s mission.
To this end s/he will define, create and implement the infrastructure/systems needed to support substantial growth over the next 3-5 years. The DDFO is an experienced and efficient leader, has excellent people skills, business acumen and exemplary work ethics.
● Responsible for daily operations of Encounter and the work of Team Leaders/Dept Heads (Office Manager, Regional Director, Development Administration, Recruitment, etc), ensuring all internal systems, processes are running smoothly and efficiently.
Strategy, Planning and Monitoring:
● Oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with Encounter’s strategic plan.
● Create and lead an annual planning process(es) to update and revise the strategic plan as needed; Map out organizational calendar.
● Establish, oversee and nurture a culture that encourages maximum performance and dedication; implement policies and processes that promote organizational culture of excellence.
● Manage annual staff retreat, regular and generative staff meetings, in each region and across the organization.
● Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization; Oversee implementation of regular performance reviews.
● Oversee organizational budgeting for a budget of $1.8 million, financial forecasting, cash flow and annual audit; Staff the Board finance and audit committees.
● Ensure accurate and up to date records of financial transactions; supervise support staff.
● Ensure compliance with finance/accounting standards
Administration, Operations and Human Resources:
● Oversee maintenance of organization-wide database and cloud server
● Ensure smooth facilities management and liaising with vendors.
● Ensure communication between “departments” and systems for flow of information. This includes data management, record-keeping, etc.
● Ensure organization and programs are covered with appropriate insurance policies, negotiate pricing, liaise with brokers.
● Oversee implementation of systems and programs including project management software.
● Oversee communications functions including maintenance of website, and ensuring all external materials align with brand guidelines
● Ensure compliance with HR standards and supervise support staff to implement daily HR functions; Oversee hiring and termination processes ensuring they adhere to HR standards.
● Legal: Ensure organization is in compliance with NY and Federal law; Ensure have appropriate representation in place; pro-bono and for hire as needed.
● Liaise and work closely with the Director of Institutional Advancement on projections and reconciliations.
Additional responsibilities and projects may be assigned as they arise.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience relevant to the position.
- 5-10 years of relevant experience, with proven track record of high-quality work.
- Experience supervising staff and cultivating team culture.
- Experience in budgeting and in managing financial reporting and analysis; knowledge of accounts payable and receivable, and payroll.
- Experience in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting on foundation grants (preferred).
- Tech savvy, able to learn new programs quickly; Knowledge of accounting and reporting software preferred; Fluency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
Qualities & Skills
- Integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Encounter’s mission,
- High level systems thinker who see how the details fit into the larger picture.
- Strong decision maker; Able to remain calm under pressure.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Superb manager; A natural creative problem-solver with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proactive, takes initiative; A driver who executes on all tasks and is accountable for their success.
Competitive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be fluent in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply: For immediate consideration, please send your resume and cover letter (PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your name and “Deputy Director, Finance and Operations” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Encounter. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please, no phone calls.
Encounter is an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family status, sexual preference, status with regard to public assistance, mental or physical impairment, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.