191 Joralemon Street
Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), a nonprofit provider of legal services for low and moderate income residents of Queens and Brooklyn, is seeking a full-time staff attorney for our immigration department.
The staff attorney will counsel and represent individuals before the Executive Office for Immigration Review and before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. The staff attorney will also represent individuals in Family Court in guardianship and custody hearings and assist with special outreach events and community-based legal clinics in Brooklyn and Queens. The staff attorney will report to the Supervising Attorney of the Removal Defense Project. This is for a full-time position in our Brooklyn office, but the attorney may be required to work from our Queens office periodically.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide representation and legal advice to clients in removal proceedings before the Executive office for Immigration Review seeking all types of relief, including but not limited to: Asylum, Cancellation of Removal, 212(c), and VAWA;
· Represent clients before the Board of Immigration Appeals or in any other immigration related federal litigation matters.
· Represent clients in front of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, and in New York State Family Court;
· Prepare affirmative applications including but not limited to: Asylum, family based petitions, adjustment of status, U visa and T visa applications;
· Manage caseload and maintain client files in good working order. Maintain and update case list and client and case information in case management database;
· Participate in CMS staff meeting and case reviews;
· Attend USCIS and EOIR stakeholder meetings and local practitioner working group meeting as required;
· Report on outcomes and demographic information for grants, and;
· Assist in outreach and educational events.
· Admission to the New York State Bar;
· 2-4 years of previous experience practicing in Immigration Law is required;
· Demonstrated commitment to public interest work;
· Excellent written, oral and analytical skills;
· Fluency in written and oral Spanish;
· Excellent organizational skills;
· Basic computer skills;
· Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently; and ability and experience working with clients from diverse backgrounds and communities.
CMS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds. Salary is commensurate with experience. CMS offers a competitive benefits package that includes a pension plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in written or oral Spansh
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, list of three professional references and two writing samples to: Sharone Kaufman, Managing Attorney at Skaufman@catholicmigration.org. Please include “Staff Attorney Application” in the subject line.